The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cedar Hawk Ranch Boer Goats
436 Posts
I'm not sure why it is important but it's the skin under the tail and it's suppose to be fully dark and full with no pink or spots it's suppose to me at least 75% pigmented

·
1,384 Posts
Boer goats were bred to be white bodies with dark heads. The dark head is to protect their skin and ears better from the sun. They wanted to keep their skin safe, even though they had white hair so they designed them to have dark skin pigmentation. Well, Not sure I am using the exact right words. But essentially, the white body was easier for the shepherd to see the goats out on the land, and the dark skin pigmentation and the dark hair on the head and ears is desired(as already mentioned) to prevent skin cancer.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Sounds like Arabian horses, aren't they all supposed to have black skin, even when white, to protect them from the sun?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Im gonna take your post over a little sorry :( But I was just thinking about this the other day. I noticed some people, with boers, thats one of their selling points is that their pigment is correct, but then I look at other peoples goats and they dont seem to care about it, so do you guys think that is really a important thing to have when buying a animal or is it kinda a added bonus? I noticed a good handful of my goats have nice pink tails lol

·
1,384 Posts
Has to be at least 70 or 75% pigmented in the show ring or the goat can be disqualified. But does not have to be close to black pigmentation, just needs to show any shade of pigmentation and not be baby bottom pink.

·
1,524 Posts
I guess the answer would be because it's part of the breed standard. If breeding animals as close to standard as possible it your goal, then it's important. If you don't carem, then I guess it's not.

Since S. Africa/NZ/Australia is so hot and tropical, it is probably a much bigger issue over there than here.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ok, so as long as they are not like a light pink? So the ones that are like a red color with some black, thats still ok. None of mine are like real light pink like what my white dairy goat is but I was thinking it had to be black.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have a pretty dumb question though, why is pigment important? And how is actually determined?
I'm thinking that pigment is important because it prevents sunburn, therefore the possible development of skin cancer. I don't know that for a fact, however. Lack of pigment used to be a major problem in Hereford cattle as it was a big contributor in cancer eye, sunburned udders, and several other problems as well. I have no idea how it is determined.

·
1,384 Posts
Ok, so as long as they are not like a light pink? So the ones that are like a red color with some black, thats still ok. None of mine are like real light pink like what my white dairy goat is but I was thinking it had to be black.
not really sure what you mean by "like a red color with some black" I have attached some examples of does that have full pigmentation and some that are splochy looking,
Edited: One of these would not pass for fullblood, she does not have 75% pigmentation, Some of the other splochy ones would pass.

Attachments

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
I agree... pigment may not be that important here ( at least in my area!) , but it is the breed standard and you will most likely be DQ'd in the show ring for less than 75% pigmentation.

However... I must say that one of our new girls Dandi had about 50-60% pigmentation when we first bought her. I was DQ'd with her the first time I showed her, but the judge *almost* let it slide. She had shown extremely well before then, and still shows extremely well currently, so it isn't an issue to some judges I've found. I think she may be getting close to 75% under there... now that she's been out in the sun quite a bit!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts