The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat milk tastes just like cows milk. I don't see any difference. if any, anything you can grow or produce at home is better than store bought. I'm trying to get some family to try it and they want nothing to do with it, and they are milk drinkers. It took my mom months to realize that goat milk wasn't that bad and for her to start drinking it.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with Karen.. Plus the stuff you buy in the store is just NASTY! Lol! It tastes like a goat IMO!

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Yes, if they ever had store bought goats milk or heard about it form someone who had it..it will give real goats milk a bad name...and I also agree with Karen...it goes against what "feels normal" But I think that will change..more and more are having trouble with store bought milk...and they are seeking a better source..just keep trying...soon they will all be wanting goats milk .....

·
376 Posts
Don't feel alone OutdoorDreamer I can't get anyone to try it here either. You'd think by offering goatmilk I was trying to poison them! I put most of mine in the freezer hoping to some day use it for soap and cheese. It's all very frustrating considering the amount of work it takes to produce it!

BTW, does anyone have their raw milk tested for diseases or anything? I thought if I had my goats milk tested maybe I'd gain a few fans...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I totally agree... My mom finally after months and months of bugging her she finally tried it.. Now she doesn't buy milk.... As a kid they had a milk goat and well it only got the brush and grass, so therefore the milk was sour goaty taste... She was shocked on how my goats milk taste like... She is wanting me to get more now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've never had it but would love to try goats milk! My mother hates it. She had a bucket spilled on her when she was a kid. She claims it's sticky and smells bad. I'm hoping to progress to dairy or meat goats in the future.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Really good, cold, fresh goat milk is the BEST! Normally I don't drink a lot of milk, well, store bought milk, I can't stand it, my girls milk, awwwwwww YUMMMMM! Knowing how healthy it is, is just a side benefit for us. Husband said it is smooth like silk compared to cotton from store bought... My family is all aboard on the goat milk, hang in there.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I think it's from store bought goat milk. I had a roommate in university who bought goat milk, and I tried it once.....felt like I had licked a barn floor! it was disgusting. but with my girl, her milk is sweet. I don't drink milk generally, just use it to make other things, but I have no problems with it.

oh, and when I was away, my bf got scared of milking, so he bought some raw cow's milk to make kefir with...I came home, smelled the cow's milk kefir and almost gagged. lol. I guess for me, goat milk is normal now!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think that the store bought milk is either canned or pasteurized. I think the heat process kills the flavor. Also alot of people have smelled a buck in rut and automatically think that milk will taste like that. Also some breeds have a goatier taste than others, my favorite is nigerian.

·
8,181 Posts
A little story about the store bought goats milk. A friend of mine's father in PA. has a goat dairy- they milk 250 goats on a daily basis.
It is like a cow dairy- no hand milking there! All the milk goes into a big bulk tank, and only gets picked up every 3-4 days. Since they are
one of the few licensed goat dairies in W. PA, the milk is shipped to the East Coast. (not sure of the state) So, by the time the milk gets
to the plant, it is already 5 or 6 days old. Then it is super processed, ultra pasteurized and bottled. (By now it is over a week old).

That is why grocery store goat milk tastes so different. (nasty, bad, yucky, etc.!). It just isn't like fresh goat milk. Even home pasteurized tastes
fine, compared to store bought over processed milk.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with what everyone else said, it's because it goes against the norm. I think store bought goat milk gives it all a bad name too. I tried some before I got goats and it made me gag. It taste yucky and because of that everyone that I talk to thinks our milk taste just like that. We always have to explain that it actually tastes good and isn't bad to drink. Once people get over that though they always admit it taste better than store bought milk

·
376 Posts
I tried home pasturizing mine thinking that because everyone was afraid it would make them sick. I don't know if I over cooked it or what but it didn't taste good to me at all!!!

·
1,524 Posts
Most of my friends and co workers gag at the idea of goat milk. However, when I bring in goat cheese or cheesecake, they have no problems eating it. Double standards??????

I have been drinking goat milk for 30+ years. To me cows milk is abnormal and tastes like a cow. More people drink goat milk world wide thanm cow milk, it's just in the USA that goats are considered inferior.

Some day, when there is very little land left to grow hay or pasture, goats will replace cattle for both meat and milk. I may not live to see it, but it will happen.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Its the same reason why people (like my DH ) wont even eat purple potatoes-- even though they taste the same as regular-- its different and they cannot get over that....

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Heck I like store bought goat milk, I think it is devine compared to cows milk. And I love cow's milk (I am allegic to it now though) so I can't wait til my girls are producing and I can have fresh goat milk. I just have to keep them out of the bitterweeds. LOL

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The next person who goes "EWWWW!" over me drinking goat milk might get a taste of the back of my hand. JUST JOKING! But I feel that way often. I get so sick of it. I seriously get sick to death of people being more than happy to drink milk that came out of a cow they have never met (that gets who knows what meds/injections/feed/care) and sat in bulk tanks and travelled across half the country to be run through a factory and crammed into plastic jugs... but going on and on about how gross it is that i drink milk I took out of a goat (that i see every single day and know literally everything that goes into and comes out of, lol) an hour before that only travelled up my driveway and was filtered from one glass jar to the next then chilled. I don't even understand that mentality. How is one gross and the other not? Both are fluids we squeezed out of another species and are drinking.

I love it when I have someone taste our milk and they get that look on their face. You know the one? The startled look, followed by shocked delight, right before they make a pleased sound and take another drink? Kind of like the look a little kid gives when they first taste frosting? lol. Yeah. I love that. I still want to snarl, "So it is gross, huh?" and take it away and make rude hand gestures at them for even doubting it. But I don't, because I am far too mature for that. (HAHA!) but I sure do WANT to.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
^^ HAHAHAHAH!!!!

I also read that conventional American cow's milk in stores have sweeteners in them, which is probably why so many ppl love it so much? I grew up in Canada...they didn't and still don't put sweeteners in our conventional cow milk.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts