The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I heard one of my pygmy goats crying like she was in pain. I run outside to check on her, and she is just standing there crying. She is very small so I sat her on my lap. She jumped off my lap, walked a few step, stumbled, fell over, and that was it. She was gone. It all took less than 5 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?? She had no obvious symptoms (no diarrhea, runny nose, bites, or wounds).

She was a very small 6 month old pygmy doe. So far the other goats seem fine, but I am worried about them. Any advice on what to do?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
Oh my..im so sorry! It would be hard for us to say what happened as there are so many things it could be. Necropsy would be your best bet here.
Again..im very sorry

·
Fair-Haven
4,819 Posts
If you cannot do a necropsy, the next thing would be to evaluate the rest of your herd. Make sure your hay/grain is mold free, clean water. Next, make a survey of your pasture - anything poisonous in there? Meantime, check the herd via fecal (poop sample to vet) for coccidia and worms. Are they up to date on their CDT? So many things could have happened , but this gives you a starting point for the rest of your herd. I'm so very sorry.

·
8,359 Posts
You say she was very small? It could have been a congenital heart condition. Maybe coccidea stunted her, its so hard to say. Unfortunately, unless you can get her necropsied, it is only a guessing game. (depending on where you live, some State Universities with vet schools will do it, but with Covid 19, alot of routine things are suspended.) So very sorry that you lost her. It never gets any easier, no matter how many goats you have. Sometimes, pneumonia is silent, no symptoms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind words and for all the advice. It was very tough losing her since she was very sweet and friendly. Unfortunately having a necropsy done at this time would not be an option, but I will start with evaluating the herd, and checking their feed/hay/water for anything harmful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts