Why my goat suddenly died??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bennyfarm, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Bennyfarm

Bennyfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    USA
    So last night I heard one of my pygmy goats crying like she was in pain. I run outside to check on her, and she is just standing there crying. She is very small so I sat her on my lap. She jumped off my lap, walked a few step, stumbled, fell over, and that was it. She was gone. It all took less than 5 minutes. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?? She had no obvious symptoms (no diarrhea, runny nose, bites, or wounds).

She was a very small 6 month old pygmy doe. So far the other goats seem fine, but I am worried about them. Any advice on what to do?

Goataddict likes this.
  2. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    I would test the rest of your herd just to be safe.

What she had might be contagious.

Was she CAE free.

A necropsy would put your mind to rest.

Hope other might be of more help.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh my..im so sorry! It would be hard for us to say what happened as there are so many things it could be. Necropsy would be your best bet here.
    Again..im very sorry

Moers kiko boars and Goataddict like this.
  4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If you cannot do a necropsy, the next thing would be to evaluate the rest of your herd. Make sure your hay/grain is mold free, clean water. Next, make a survey of your pasture - anything poisonous in there? Meantime, check the herd via fecal (poop sample to vet) for coccidia and worms. Are they up to date on their CDT? So many things could have happened , but this gives you a starting point for the rest of your herd. I'm so very sorry.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you lost her. A necropsy should give you answers.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry. :(

A necropsy will tell you.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You say she was very small? It could have been a congenital heart condition. Maybe coccidea stunted her, its so hard to say. Unfortunately, unless you can get her necropsied, it is only a guessing game. (depending on where you live, some State Universities with vet schools will do it, but with Covid 19, alot of routine things are suspended.) So very sorry that you lost her. It never gets any easier, no matter how many goats you have. Sometimes, pneumonia is silent, no symptoms.

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Im so sorry for your loss.

Goataddict likes this.
  9. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I'm so sorry you lost her. It sounds very sudden. Could she have been bitten by a poisonous snake?

10. Bennyfarm

Bennyfarm New Member

Aug 19, 2020
    USA
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and for all the advice. It was very tough losing her since she was very sweet and friendly. Unfortunately having a necropsy done at this time would not be an option, but I will start with evaluating the herd, and checking their feed/hay/water for anything harmful.

11. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    (console)

12. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Please do keep us updated.