• health benefits from the protein alternatives /vitamins in fresh foods

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
Great answer ^^^

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Also because mono-culture farming is not sustainable and require so many toxic sprays that the food supply is actually poisoning us.
There's now Round-up in the breast milk of every lactating human and animal in America.

The more we can foster food independence, the farther we can move away from these poisonous food systems.

Our animals will slowly become healthier and more adaptable than ever before.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,044 Posts
Our animals will slowly become healthier and more adaptable than ever before.
(clap)

I'm very interested in feeding our goats with alternate ways in order to be as self sufficient as possible. We are going to try to grow more foods for our goats this coming garden season. Not off to a great start though, we think our garlic we planted last fall might have died. :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have noticed several threads lately regarding no grain feeding/root vegetable/other substitutes. Reasons?
My reasons:

1. Dependency, I don't want my animals to be dependent on grain to have high growth rates, high milk production, or be dependent on grain to maintain ideal body condition especially in lactation.

2. Yield, if I plant an acre of sugar beets, I will get more pounds than I would in grain.

3. Self-sufficiency. I feel like it'd take more equipment and fertilizer to harvest and get a good yield from grains than other crops. (Could be wrong though)

4. Apparently it's healthier. Milk and meat from non-grain fed stock has more vitamins, omega 6's and minerals than grain fed livestock. One article said grass fed dairy cows produce produce milk with five times as much of an unsaturated than grain fed dairy cows, I feel like this could be the same for dairy goats as well.

5. I won't be growing grains for myself. I don't plan on making my own cereal or bread, I'll be buying those. Any crops I won't raise for myself, I won't raise for my livestock.

6. I may raise grains in the end though, I'm still undecided.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts