Why oh WHY

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Mar 8, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So I am wanting to down size the herd - but does anyone know how hard this is??? :ROFL: Not cause I don't want to sell any - but because I can't quit buying them :ROFL: :shocked: :ROFL:

Then I have the thought, maybe I should start mini nubians......then I think nah, I like the nigis.....

So I am thinking -

reg nigis
    reg nubies
    mini nubs

Just a couple of each.

I love my nigis, but I don't have the time to get the milk from them like I would like to. And heaven forbid I not use Abba! LOL!

I don't know. Sorry bout the ramble - just alot going through my head at the moment and not sure what to do.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Allison...it's OK ....we all have the "goat sickness"... it is going around.... :hug: :ROFL:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I know the feeling!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just can't decide what I want to do. There are alot of 'nigi" breeders and "nubie" breeders around here - but no mini nubi that I can find. I shouldn't say alot - but there are a bit to choose from.

I would never get out of my nigis completely - but everyone around here wants a high producing milk goat - not a neccesarily a small nigi...... So with demand and ability to sell, I have to look at that also

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh, I know how you feel. Sometimes I will sell like 4 goats and then I'll be like...well, since I sold a few I guess I could get a few more. :doh: NO KYLEE NO!!! No more! I've been doing better though. :wink: Then this year i'm going to get some nubians, and then i'm thinking that could lead to mini nubians and so forth. I think what I need to do is get down to about 30 goats and try and keep it a bit smaller, but boy is that going to be hard to pick and choose. I'm feeling very conflicted about what to do.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    well, since posting this - I have had some definate changes in the herd.

The lady that was interested in Nova and Trisha asked if I would be willing to sell Nova with her dam, Dora. As much as my heart said no, DH reminded me that I am downsizing and that everything has a price.... I just need to determine what that price is to me.

Well, I gave her a quote on what I would be willing to sell the trio, Dora, her doeling Nova, and Trisha for - and she took it :shrug: I really didn't think that would happen...... So they are coming to get the girls next sunday. :( So back to no milk till the end of April except for what I have frozen.

So I called the other lady that was interested in Trisha and told her she was sold, and she was pretty bummed and wanted to know if I would sell either of my other Nubians - ahhhh that is a big NO way. But I started talking to her about my Sanaan / Boers. So maybe we will get them sold. We have decided to get completely out of the meat goats as DH has not even butchered one and he has been waiting for over a month for his destiny. I just can't see breeding and feeding these animals any longer if we are not going to use them.

So we are slowly getting to where we want to be - hopefully I will have this straight in my head soon - I am just so confused - LOL!

But I will say - I just bought a Saddle from my farrier today - WOO HOO! Now just to buy a cinch strap, blanket, head stall and reins and I am ready!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well milk her like crazy then you will have some frozen up :)

Sorry to hear you are selling her but hopefully Sandy has a real nice udder for yah.

Did you breed Fire this year?

Fingers crossed that the boersX's get sold. Means you can keep more minis :greengrin:

I really want this doe from Teresa at Little Wishes- she is the color I have always wanted with good genetics and blue eyes to boot! What more can I ask for! I figured such a long ride would be cruel without a buddy so I should look at 2 goats ....But then I have this 5 goat rule I put on myself :doh: And I have 5 goats :shades: So I decided to sell Sweet Pea and hoped to keep a doe kid from her. But then I keep having second thoughts and figure maybe just maybe I can keep her and a doeling but thats 6 goats! so a 7th & 8th goats would be total out of the question grrrr And in 2010 I was hoping to get a doe kid from Tina at Laural Haven = 9 goats! oh help! I am so addicted I cant help myself :help: :shades: Once my goats kid I will have a much better idea of what I want to do. but waiting till June seems so long :GAAH:

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Isn't it just the hardest to decide - LOL!

I just am not sure what I want to do - I am so torn in all ways. I am supposed to be doing homework - but just can not even consentrate at the moment. I just really really hate this - the unknown can be so picturesque yet so scary.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you written out your long term goal, short term goals, then imediate goals? I need to do that same. Lets see quick here

Long term: herd of show quality goats and of course my ranch :shades:
    Short term: Small herd of goats for show and pets
    Immediate: get through kidding season!

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That is the problem - I am not sure what exactly I want. I know that quality animals is a must, but not sure on the rest.

I am really in a pinch on showing. As much as I want to, I just can't see me being able to do it. I refuse to leave my animal at the fair for 10 days and I can not take that much time off from work to stay with them, and I can't find a 4H kid that wants to show for me in exchange.

Aghhhh :hair:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I never take my goats somewhere longer then a day, there is one show weekend coming up that is 3 shows in 2 days so I will have to stay over night but that is the longest I take them out for.

You need to find either AGS or ADGA shows in your area

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh I know the feeling. I have Sugar up on my for sale page, but I don't want to, or think I will sell her. Xcell and Ghost having boys actually helped me out because now I don't need to keep does kids from them this year. lol :ROFL:

And don't forget about your buck kid Stacey. :wink: But I know he's not staying at your house.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If he isnt in my barn he doesnt count ;)

I am so eager to make decisions for the future but I need to wait first for them to kid, to bad Sweet Pea is the last to kid grrrr

And Allison I know Teresa doesnt show but she raises registered nigerians for show and for pets so maybe thats what you can do for now until you can get more involved in showing or maybe you will find that breeding them is all you want to do.

14. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hey Allison...I have A LOT of extra tack so i'd be willing to sell some stuff for real cheap. Some of it is brand new too. If you want this weekend I can get some pics of what I have. I think I have a couple extra cinches. I know I have extra headstalls and then I probably have some nice reins in there too. Let me know if you're interested. Oh, and LOTS of extra pads. Let me know if you're interested.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That would be awesome Kylee. If I can get Laverne broke the rest of the way myself or with the help of my girlfriend, then I will keep her, otherwise I will probobly sell her also.

I will take a picture of my saddle here in a bit - just got back from drawing lots of blood so I am warming up.

It needs a good leather cleaner - but it is a sturdy saddle - I really like it. I want to get my cinch and breast collar as soon as I can, that way I can at least ride my old mare and start getting some muscle built back on her.

The saddle pads, I know that I want to purchase brand new (just a weird thing of mine - just like my horse blankets - I am terrified of fungus and what not). But the breast collars and everything else, I plan on buying used, and slowly building up to new, nice stuff if I see something that I like.

16. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Hey if you're interested, I've got an extra headstall. :wink:

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks Crissa - I will see what I need. My old mare, I just have to use a halter and 2 lead ropes as she is a hackamore girl.... but Vernie - I don't know.

18. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Same with my girl right now. I'm kind of hoping I'll be able to get her used to an actual bridle someday though. :roll: It you do decide you want to see it just let me know. It's in good shape.

19. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Alright, i'll try and remember to pull out that stuff this weekend and let ya know what I got. :wink:

20. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We've had reg. Nubians still have a couple Nubian does and some Nigerians as well but now we just have Nigerian wethers, we are just raising Mini-Nubians now but we're trying to downsize our herd a bit though.