Why won't he breed?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frozenloc2, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
    Almost a year ago a friend of mine took home and bottle fed a buckling of mine that was weak at birth. He ended up turning into a spoiled kid no pun intended :) She got herself a couple breeding does and two were pregnant already when purchased. The does and the buck live together fulltime. I was over there today and one of her does was in heat. He proceeded to hea dbutting her and acting bucky but wouldn't jump her. I asked her if she has ever seen him breed and she said no. She says he jumps them but does not do the deed. I would figure that by a year old he would be breeding by now. This isn't the first time these does have been in heat either since after kidding. Any idea? Could he just be immature still from being bottle fed and on the tiny side when born?

2. morganslil1

morganslil1 Guest

Nov 12, 2007
    It could be that hes young and feels intimidated by the does.

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    It could be alot of things but I have 2 bottle fed bucklings that are now 5 months old and only one is sexually mature, the other prefers to stand by me and get petted.

Ask her if he is stinky and spraying urine on himself. Does she see him with his penis out and spraying sideways?

It might actually help to take the buck and phyically lift him up onto the doe when she is in heat. I did that with both my boys and it worked for the one and he has now bred 2 does. Sometimes these bottle babies can be human spoiled and not sure what to do with the goaty females.

4. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
    He does what all bucks do. He pees, rolls his lip, you know the noise he makes and so on. He jumps the girls but he won't do the pelvic thrust :roll: He was sexual at a very early age towards humans though. His first 6 months of life were with a human in the house until the does showed up.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

what breed is he?
    beth

6. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Well that is says alot. Bottle babies have a hard time understanding they are a goat when raised in the barn around other goats. 6 months in the house with only humans, he thinks he is a human. This may clear up with time or it may always be a problem. When I bottle fed my 2 bucklings I made sure they were with the entire herd so they would learn how to be a goat and they still have a few sexual confusions. Goats need to be in twos or more and need to be introduced to the barn asap.

7. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
  8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

hmm i would say because he was in the house and around people for so long. He has the idea but it going to take some more time for him to actually get around to it. Can he reach the does he is trying to breed?
    beth

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    See I"m not sure about that just because he was a house. Caesar was in the house for about 4 months because he was sick and when breeding season came he was ready to do the job.

With this buckling, is his penis extending at all? or is it still attached to the sheath?

10. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 Guest

Jan 12, 2008
    He can reach the does and yes he can extend his wee wee. He's fully functionable, just won't make a deposit in the slot

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I personally don't like the whole bottle feeding thing. I bottle supplement the kids. I have a buck that is just a bit shy and not very confident. But he has bred one doe so far and he will be a year in may. It could be several things combined.