The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - there's been a behavior change in my milking goat, Patience, and I'm not sure if it's normal or not. There are a couple things I think might be causing it, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I don't know to think of or look for, and was hoping to get some input.

I've been milking Patience through since May 2019, and she is not currently pregnant. I do rotational grazing, so I move my goat pen every 7-14 days. For the last five ish weeks their pen has been in my backyard. And I just moved them across the driveway, about 200 ft away.
The backyard is also where my hay shelter is: basically a pole barn with tarp walls to keep out the rain. About 6 weeks ago I moved the milk stand inside the hay shelter so I wouldn't be milking in the rain. Patience took about a week to get used to the shelter and then has been A-OK with it up until I moved the goat pen a few days ago. Now she doesn't like hopping on the stantion and doesn't like putting her head in.

Before I moved the pen on Friday, Patience had been producing around 64 oz of milk every day. The day after I moved their pen, she dropped to 54, the next few days she dropped by 5ish oz, and today I only got 32 oz.

She has also consistently been uninterested in grain or alfalfa pellets, which I feed her morning and evening. She went from eating 2 qts alfalfa and 1.5 qts grain each day, to now just a few nibbles.
She is still eating hay and grass/forage, and otherwise her behavior is pretty normal.

These are some things I think could be happening:
- she is starting to dry off naturally?? Not sure why she would be uninterested in food though.
- she doesn't like being so far away from the other two goats anymore??
- something happened to her while she was in the hay shelter that traumatized her and now she doesn't want to be in there anymore??
- she's somehow sick?? Not sure what else to look for.

Anyone else have ideas or thoughts? I don't know if this is normal or if I should be concerned about her health.

·
Registered
30,119 Posts
I agree...start with Temp (101.5-103.5 is normal range) check her famacha..uou want to see a deep pink to red. Listen for rumen noises and movement.

·
Registered
30,119 Posts
I have a goat I'm milking through as well. They do tend to drop this time of year and blossom in spring. But ruling out illness since she's not eating normal is important

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all, thanks for the input. I ended up taking her to the vet and it turns out she had a fever and high egg count in her fecal sample.

I've been doing an herbal wormer for the last three years, and hoped it was working. I think there are some management things I need to change to make it work. But in the meantime I didn't want anything to happen to my doe, so I got her a conventional wormer dose.

We'll see if she improves over the next few days.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree...start with Temp (101.5-103.5 is normal range) check her famacha..uou want to see a deep pink to red. Listen for rumen noises and movement.
Her rumen sounded good, but her famacha is on the light side... :/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anytime they go off feed I'm concerned. First thing to do is to take her temp and check for worms via fecal. How long has she been in milk ? If she is not eating her grain that will make her production drop drastically
I didn't have a thermometer, but got one today so I can take her temp myself in the future.
She has been in milk since may 2019.
I figured the drop in milk was because of drop in eating, and not the other way around. But it hadn't happened before, so I didn't know what I could rule out, haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts