The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends goat had 4 kids. The first one she never took out of the sack I understand that one. When I got there the 3rd one was just out and pulled the sack of off the fourth one. Never could get the last two to even move. They were just dead. I was told she miscarried her first time and this was her second. She never even tried to clean them and after she was done got up and went to her food. Any Ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
per: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0079/

The most common microorganisms that cause abortions in goats are:

Chlamydiosis (Chlamydia psittaci)
Query or Queensland (Q) fever (Coxiella burnetii)
Listeriosis (Listeria monocytogenes)
Leptospirosis (Leptospira spp)
Toxoplasmosis (Toxoplasma gondii)
Brucellosis (Brucella melitensis)

if you click the link they explain each one...Im sorry your friend lost all the babies..thats a hard one..best wishes

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
was she full term? if so that eliminates several of the causes. brucellosis is considered extinct in the usa. some cause abortion at 100 to 120 days.
how long was she in labor? she could have been at it for too long. i know when they have multiples sometimes they aren't fuully developed. sometimes you really have to work on them to get them going. hanging upside down sucking the fluid from their mouth. i even have done mouth to mouth and gotten them going. but sometimes as you said they are just dead. the vet could probably tell you if it was a disease or smething wrong with the doe. certainly have her vaccinated for the diseasees they have vaccines for.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She was put in the pen with the buck January 14 for a month. She had 3 boys 1 girl. The last boy was a big boy the middle one was a good size and 2 smaller ones. Not sure how long in labor she was checked on 3 to 4 hours before she found the little girl still in the sack and it was drying the last two were one after another pretty much. One of the little ones did not have long hair. All of them were formed and looked full term. Besides one having short hair.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
There are a lot of reasons that this could happen - improper management, improper nutrition, disease, dystocia, injury, etc. I would suggest your friend take a kid and the placenta to the vet for testing. What you are describing is what I experienced when I brought home Q Fever, along with 2 does from the sale barn, a few years back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts