why would he of died??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by babe817, Oct 26, 2008.

1. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    i had a bottle baby ages ago.. once he was 4 months we moved him in with our other goats.. and gave him a bottle a day.. 2 days later we found him dead in the goat shelter.. this has really affected me. he felt like a child since i was pretty much his mom. i just cant work out why he would of died over night.. fil says it happens with animals. i know it does.. but it seemed so quick.. and he looked fine.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It could of been silent pneumonia or even big worm overload ....both can be silent killers.....................I am so sorry for your loss..... :cry: ......you were a good momma.........sometimes you never know ............but for worms ......one way is to check there gum color....white or very light pink not good....very wormy.........red gum's are good......also check in the eyelid area or corner....... to check color also.............once in a while .........give it a quick peak..........

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Here's a really good link on checking eyelid and gum color to determine if the goat has a lot of parasites. I've found it really helpful. Someone else posted it on here before and it is now in my "favorites" folder.

I agree with Toth, could've been silent pneumonia or very likely worm-overload - cocci is a very common problem affecting young goats (and adults too if there is too much in the system).

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    capriola-nd.........LOL :ROFL:

It is a very informative site............ :)

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    If you had him indoors the whole time-introducing him to the parasites could have caused it- Also -was it cold there or anything? we have had some of our goats lay on the smaller ones before. :shrug:

6. babe817

babe817 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Thank for you replies..I guess it could of been anything..

We check our goats eye lids and gums most the time..plus we worm them regular.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you are welcome...............sounds like your doing things proper........... :) :thumbup: