The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw in another post someone had a goat eating wood and @ksalvagno said to give probiotics. Well, our goats are crazy about eating bark, paper, cardboard, anything with fiber in it. They drive me nuts chasing them around trying to get a paper towel out of their mouth. Do you think they need probios? Would that help solve the issue or is it just goat nature to eat stuff like that?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I walk my girls in the woods every day and they are always gnawing on bark and eating pieces of limbs and stuff, along with the leaves. I didn't see the post you are referring to, but eating parts of trees is part of their diet. Eating manmade stuff isn't, but it happens. I remember the first time Echo ate a piece of plastic - yellow plastic of a hand wagon - and I thought I'd see some yellow poop or something, but thankfully no change in poop color!

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I guess it just annoys me. We often take them on walks through the yard and they are always after the trees, which we really don’t want them eating on. When I heard Karen mention probiotics, I was hoping for an easy solution lol!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I read that post that I think you were referring to. Their goat was chewing on their pasture fence, which is different than eating stuff in the woods, right?! Cause that's the best part of our walks, they get out and about, spread their poop around, clean up the leaves that are falling, and eating whatever they want in the woods - we've been doing it for about 2 of the 3 years I've had them and all the plants/trees are safe for them. Heck, if a limb falls off one of the trees outside the pasture, they are on it fast - although not all tree parts smell/taste the same!

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,600 Posts
My goats seem to like chewing on wood (both manmade and natural) too!! They mostly seem to do it when they are hungry or right before feeding time though. Let me know if you do end up giving them Probios and if anything changes afterwords!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I read that post that I think you were referring to. Their goat was chewing on their pasture fence, which is different than eating stuff in the woods, right?! Cause that's the best part of our walks, they get out and about, spread their poop around, clean up the leaves that are falling, and eating whatever they want in the woods - we've been doing it for about 2 of the 3 years I've had them and all the plants/trees are safe for them. Heck, if a limb falls off one of the trees outside the pasture, they are on it fast - although not all tree parts smell/taste the same!
IMO, it's fine for them to eat bark and other natural wood products. Wood fence post are different story and I would be concerned if they are treated or something.

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I guess I should specify why we don’t want the eating trees. We board our goats at our neighbors property (for free, their awesome neighbors!). When we take them on walks, which our goats love, they are always after our neighbors trees and our neighbors don’t really want them eating the bark off the trees. That’s one reason why I was hope probiotics would fix it, lol.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, that's just life with a goat! Mine have a 1 acre pasture and we normally walk in the woods everyday. If we go down the one way towards the oak trees, Nyxie gets so excited and runs over to the corner that is not really ours - property line is a weird dog leg - and I don't want them to be there - and of course they didn't have collars on the last couple of times so I'm running around trying to chase them back over to my side! They go blind and deaf at that point. And if it's really wet out, I'll walk them up in my yard and again, Nyxie wants to go up in the neighbors yard - they don't live there, it's just a stretch of yard they mow - and it's a pain in the butt. I feel guilty as I'm standing there with 2 pigs chowing down, especially when they have all the other grass to choose from. I always think what are they smelling or tasting from this grass that they don't get in my grass about 2 feet away!

So I completely get what you said above!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Okay, now I'm understanding your guys' situations!! Before I was like, why don't you just let your goats eat bark!! Lol! Now I totally understand why!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yep they are browsers and will chew off tree bark so if you don't want them eating a tree you have to fence off the tree.

But about them eating wood (like fence boards, barn walls etc) I searched the forum and found this from @goathiker :

Chewing on wood is a sign that he needs probiotics. Goats naturally eat rotting wood to get the bacteria that breaks down vegetable fibers.
Eating strange things can also be iodine or sodium deficiency.
A tube of probiotics and a cobalt block may go a long way toward helping him out.

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep they are browsers and will chew off tree bark so if you don't want them eating a tree you have to fence off the tree.

But about them eating wood (like fence boards, barn walls etc) I searched the forum and found this from @goathiker :
Awe ok! That makes sense! Thanks for clarifying that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts