Widdle udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by crocee, Mar 13, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ok here is a picture of Tilly's udder. The injury is healing well and I did milk her a little bit. I have left the kids on her since shes a rodeo milker and I have to have help. I also don't have a seperate area to milk so DH helps the other goats out of the way. Even with feed in the trough and pans, they still want what she's got.

Her udder is still small and hard to milk with small teats but using Liz's method of gragging a little of the "meat" worked real well. I got about a cup of milk this time but the babies had had lunch. The milk stand got about 1/2 cup when Tilly danced the wrong way so total I have a 1/2 cup to taste. I will get more tomorrow because I am going to lock the babies up over night and see what I get in the morning.

Is this a decient udder even though its small, she is a FF. I know this isn't the greatest picture and you can't see her teats. I will do better in the morning when there is maybe more milk..

[​IMG]

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She doesn't have a little udder at all! :shocked: And her wound is healing very well.

She has nice capacity, though she could benefit from a bit more of a rear attachment. Glad the "method' worked out for you....any way you can move the stand against a wall? It will help stabilize her if you can push her against something while you milk. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount she gives you in the morning.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I asked DH about moving the stand against the wall for me in the morning. He said he would.

I was comparing her udder to all the others on the site. Hers just looks small compared to other FF's. I thought she had small orifices but when I used your method I was presented with a very NICE stream of milk. Now if I can get her out of the rodeo mood she would be a dream. My aim is not the best so I am milking one side and then the other. Will this be a problem? I am trying to avoid using the homemade Maddigan(sp) milker so she doesn't get "hickeys".

You can also see in this picture how thin she looks. I am not sure how to get a bit more weight on her. She really does look like a dairy cow. All bones.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Milking one side first is fine...you can hold onto the milk pail with the other!

With what you are giving her food wise, she should be getting her needs met...if needed, go by what some dairy farmers do...a pound of grain for each pound of milk she produces...a well as a pound for herself. What you get out of her in the morning would be ideal to measure...provided she doesn't kick the pail. Multiply that by 2 and you'll have her daily production.

If you milk into a small bowl then dump it into a lidded pail set on the floor she won't have chane to dump the entire amount that you worked so hard to get.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    It sounds like I need to get a scale then. The feed I measure in cups so I don't know what it actually weighs. I have to put rocks in the feed bowl on the milk stand so she doesn't gobble it up before I get finished. It now takes her a good 15 to 20 minutes to finish it.

I will take another picture in the morningbefore milking. I will also see if I can get her feet spread a bit so you can see those tiny teats.I have normal sized hands and the end of her teat comes to the middle of my hand. This is also having to grab a bit of udder meat.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup grab some of the "udder" when milking - thats what I do :thumbup:

Milking into a smaller container and then puring it into a bigger one saves a lot of milk when they are first learning how to stand still!

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I've found with a kicking doe that it helps to milk into a 2 gallon bucket (full sized dairy goat) cause she found it harder to get her foot up into the bucket than into a smaller box =]

Although transferring milk helps too. AND I've found that holding the box/bowl/bucket in 1 hand while milking with the other can help because then you can quickly move it out of the way if she kicks =]

LW

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I finally was able to put the babies up overnight and her udder is considerably larger. I got a little over a cup but probably could have gotten more but the cramps in my hand and shoulder were becoming excruciating so I let the babies have the rest. DH had to hold her leg but the milkstand didn't get a drop. Here's a picture of her udder this morning. Hopefully with continued milking and putting the babies up at night the capacity will be greater. I think I might try the maddigan milker tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    udder is healing up nicely and her capacity is good