Wierd! - Pic Added

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Apr 26, 2009.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes. . . I was checking on our bucks this afternoon, looking them over and such. Well, our newest one is uber friendly and was trying to get to my hands to nibble on my fingers. So, his front feet were up on the fence and I could see his teats. . . it looks like his teats are ON his testicles. It is really strange and I have never seen anything like it. We just bought him a couple weeks ago from a reputable breeder. His testicles are fully formed and "normal" looking but his teats look to have grown right off the side of them instead of his body. This isn't normal, right? :scratch:

I'll get pics next Saturday. . . forgot my camera today. :sigh:

Tried to draw something on Paint. . . looks really pathetic but maybe you get the idea of where they are located.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Wierd!

that doesnt seem normal to me :shrug:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

wow...that is unusual....that's for sure...I never seen that before....Can you maybe ask the breeder if you can exchange the buck or have them look at it ? :scratch:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

yeah, that's definetly out of the ordinary!

i'll wait for pics.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I am wondering if his testicles got really swollen making it look like the teats are on the testicles?? I'm at a loss. . . really strange looking. :scratch:

After I get pics, I'll send them to her and just ask.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

If they actually look like teats...then no.....because the swelling won't be like 2 ....stand out teat shapes like that................. if that is ...what you are seeing..... :hug:

If you are going to use him ...in your breeding program....and those are actual teats...I myself ...would not use him ..with that defect ...if it is a defect.. :scratch: ...I would be fearful of ...where the teats would go.... on my does......if you know... what I mean...... :hug:

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Yeah, that's not normal. I have never even heard or seen anything like that before. :shrug: The only thing I could think of, is some sort of defect (I think another post said) but I sure hope it's nothing though, that would be really unfortunate.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Oh, yeah, unless there is some valid explanation (can't think of any now) I won't be using him on any more does. He did breed two does last weekend. One of the does is a favorite and I planned to keep a doe kid out of her. . .

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Any news yet..? :hug:

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

capriola: What did you end up find out about your buck?

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Nothing. Haven't done anything about it yet except get a picture. Not a good one since he is SO friendly. Had to take the pic upside down while he was climbing all over my brother :roll: ;)

[​IMG]

What do ya think?

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow, that is wierd. Never seen that before, obviously they should be on his belly on both sides of his sack.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is unusual.......is it flat round? or does it really look like a teat? :hug:

14. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Wow- that is bizarre- I would be contacting the breeder with that picture in hand. I wouldn't be using him either, and would it even be possible to wether him like that?

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    does he have actual teats on either side of his sack or just on it? I wonder if it is something like a fish teat idea? :shrug:

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Nope, there are no other teats. I am going to check again tomorrow to be double-sure, take another pic and then contact the breeder. Really stinks because I like this buck and was looking forward to using him. . .

They look like real teats, kind of small but they are teats.

He has already bred on of our favorite does. :sigh: He also bred another doe that I am selling and possibly one of our juniors, but not for sure on that.

17. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I know of a doe that has two teats on each side, thats what her breeder says that it is a fluke. Because neither the mother or the father had double teats so she doesnt know where it came from. So I dont think its normal and probably wouldnt breed any more does to him. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Definatly not normal. If he were to be weather then the teats would go too. I dont think i would use him for breedin in fear that he might throw teat abnormalities in his doe kids. at least as far as placement goes.
    Have you seen his dam sudder? Does he have any littermate sisters out there who have freshened?
    beth

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, his dam's udder is nice. She could use more extension in the fore but other that that, a really nice udder, I am told.

His sister was retained in the breeder's herd and she said she'd let me know how she freshens.

I've seen one maternal sister's udder and her teats are normal. His sire is a proven buck with nice milking daughters.

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It could be just a fluke that popped up. thats been known to happen. I would be interested to hear what some judges said about it.

beth