Wild goats & trimming hooves after 8 months

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bheila, Apr 26, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I have agreed to take on the task of trimming my step sons goats hooves that haven't been trimmed since he got them 8 months ago. These are basically wild goats who run the yard just to keep the bushes trimmed away from the fence line.
    Here are some things I'm concerned about. I know that just catching the poor things alone is going to stress them out. Then putting them in the stanchion and doing their hooves for god knows how long and finally giving them some shots. What can I do if anything to calm them down or relax them.
    I was thinking of worming them, giving them their CD/T, a shot of BoSe and maybe a copper bolus if they need it. Also checking for lice. What I'm wondering is if that's too much for the goats bodies to handle. All they live off of is what's in the yard and nothing else. Not even minerals. I don't want to overload them. What do you all think?

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    they will be fine.

there are rangeland (feral) goats in various parts of Australia who get mustered once a year or once every two years, drafted and generally handled, have yet to see one keel over just from stress :thumb:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actualy wild goats can be the hardiest. I wouldnt worry about stressing them out to much. They should be fine

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Okay, thanks guys. I guess I'm used to worrying about stressing out my pregnant doe at home. Off I go to get kicked :roll:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others....they should be fine......unhappy but fine......prepare for a fight and screams..... :hug: Good luck .. :pray: ..let us know how it goes... :hug:

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oooh, you're going to have fun. :greengrin:

All my goats came here wild and that's one of the FIRST things I do, a nice hoof trim and overall maintenance.

Good luck!

:thumbup:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had to be redundant, but I agree. They will be fine. They might even like a little treat of grain.
    I bet in the end YOU will be more stressed out then they will be. Good Luck. :greengrin:

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Yup, I'm here now. I haven't started yet but I did bring some goat chow and BOSS. I'll let you guys know in the morning how it went.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Well I'm done. I can't believe how cooperative the goats were. The hooves weren't any worse then if they hadn't been trimmed in 2 months. I gave them all BoSe, CD/T and Ivermectin. I also dusted them for lice. They are all under weight really bad and need to be bolused with copper. I left some doses of Ivermectin with them to repeat in 10 days and then again. I made my step son promise to buy the goats some minerals and grain/feed otherwise I'm going to take them from him. They were in rough shape!

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like it didnt go too bad! but yep..all goats need their nutrition, what type of goats are these?

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    He has 3 Pygmies.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when a goat is free range I find that they wear down their hooves better then in a pen situatution.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh... I am so happy it went well.....congrats..... :leap:

15. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    The goats are fenced in a grassy yard, it's not like it's rocky or anything. My goats pasture is the same way. Why can't my goats wear their hooves down too?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I was wondering that to.... :wink: :doh:

17. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Cause the walk daintily like a ballerina, the ferals stomp on everything. and momma goats seem to be protective of their udders so tend to watch what they do a bit more than others.

18. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Your stress level is going to be higher than that of the goats by time all is said and done. My opinion is the more you can do to them once you have them restrained (hoof trim, vaccinations, worming, which might or might not include the lice, depending on your dewormer) the better. Just give yourself plenty of time and not be in a rush to get anything done.