Wild-ish goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Reed, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Reed

Reed New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    California
    One of my dwarf does isn't tame at all, she won't let me get close to her unless I have grain :sigh: what methods do/would you use to tame her? :help: (I'm more of a horse trainer then a goat trainer)

My other does is the complete opposite

2. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    There have been a few posts lately on this subject. I have the same problem. It will take time and lots and lots of patience. I used grain to try to tame my girls and all I did was create monsters......lol..... now when they see me, the giant walking grain dispenser.... they mob me, but they still don't want to be friends and let me scratch them after the grain is gone or they realize that I don't have anything for them. I have to admit though, they are better than when I got them and one now even lets me scratch her sides without running away. I had my doubts at one time that that would ever happen, so like I said, soft words, slow movements and lots and lots of patience.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she likes grain... that is a plus....take a chair and sit out there with her in a pen ... have her walk up to you....on her own.. to get her grain....eventually... you can start scratching her head between her horn area.... she will back away at first...but.. I find... that they love it....and come back for more scratches ... ect....talk to her with a soft voice...she will eventually get the idea that you are not there to hurt her.... with time... she will love to be scratched... and then ..you can start scratching other area too.. :wink: :thumb:

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Oh, I forgot to mention. I have one young doe that no matter what she doesn't like to be touched, she even tries to bite. So what I have been doing lately is get some grain in a container and sit down with it between my legs really close in so that she has to come in close to eat the grain, she is such a food hog that getting her close isn't a problem. I reach out and softly scratch her sides while she eats and she will move away but then comes back for the food. I have been doing this for several days and she will stand for a few seconds and let me scratch her before backing off. So the only time she can get to the food is if she is close enough to be scratched. I think she will eventually get used to the touch, I can see some progress, however slight.

Sorry, I see that toth boer posted while I was tying this. Pretty much what I said.....

5. Reed

Reed New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    California
    thank you :greengrin: I will definitely be more patient, I think thats what my problem is. I gave up too quickly with her :(

6. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    You're welcome and good luck. Don't get too frustrated and give up... I have felt that way a time or two. But in the end, it is worth it.

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
  8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Another several words: roasted salted peanuts in the shell.

9. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I'm going through this very thing right now. My wether loves me if I have grain but has learned I'll pet him if he's close enough. He absolutly loves eating leaves off a tree in the pen but he and my other one have eaten so far up they can't get leaves anymore so I'll pull a brnch down and he'll coming running for it. Once he's eatign I slowly move it closer to me and then grab his collar put my short lead on him and make him come with me to the lawn chair, sit down and pet him. I found his sweet spot (right between the horns) so I scratch him there and he eventually calms down. Yesterday I got him to lay down beside me! I talk to him the whole time and be sure to say his name (Yes, I name my market wethers). He's coming around, but it helps to have a treat or grain with me. If she fights when you put the lead on then let her for a minute, unless she's hurting herself. She'll learn that you are in charge, not her and come to be friendly. One more thing, I never hold him longer than 15 minutes at a time. I started at 5 minutes then went to 8, to 12 to 15 and now I'm working him up to 30 haha. I don't let him go unless he's calm too... that seems to work.

Good luck with training!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :hi5:

11. Timothy Hay

Timothy Hay New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I am going threw the same thing right now I got to 7 week old babys in August after fair they are ND twins and Casey is super sweet and loves me and always comes up to me but Cloe wants nothing to do with me she has come a long way from were she used to be I can now pet her a little when shes eating grain and pet her on the nose from the other side of the gait and she will eat animal crackers from my hands I have been very very patient. and sometimes ill pick her up and hold her till she calms down but I dont do that very often..

they all come around at some point in different ways have had like 5 wildish goats and some were friendlier then others but don't give up....

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I got a doe like that last summer. She has come a LONG way, but still doesn't care for people messing with her unless it's feeding time. Usually she runs from everyone.
    BUT, she's not wild n'crazy when we touch her anymore, unless she suspects we are up to something <hehe>.
    At feeding time I would bribe her to come into a stall away from the other goats, and she HAD to take the grain from a small bowl or bucket that I was holding. After a couple of days of this I started petting her - oh I always ALWAYS talk jibberish to them in a soft, positive, unthreatning tone.
    She got used to me petting her, so I'd start holding her by one horn <she's a boer>, and I'd use my other hand and rub it all over her body. Once she got used to this she wasn't jumping out of her skin.
    Not long later I would catch her and put her on the leash.

She walks just great on a leash. I tie all my girls on a collar/leash to do their feet. She's great about it, but it did take time to get her this far. Some does just won't ever take up 100%, but any improvement is better than none :)
    Just my input... Good Luck with your doe and I hope she gets tamed down.