Wildflower sick-advice needed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 4kids, Apr 18, 2010.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This morning I noticed my doe Wildflower was not well. Her temp is 101. She is not eating or drinking. She is urinating and bowels are fine. Some rumen noise. I milked her out some (although she was not real full like normal). She is very shaky. I drenched her with nutra drench mixed with water and gave her b complex paste. What else should I do???? No signs of runny nose, cough, sores ect... The real only symptom is her being off feed and her shaking. I need suggestions

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I think you've done all you can for now. Her temp is pretty normal, and she's not showing us any other signs we can treat. But you know your doe better than anyone else, and if you say she is off colour then best to keep an eye on her.

It could be this is the precursor to a more serious illness.

With the shaking, if it progresses you might be looking at a metabolic disease such as milk fever/ketosis etc

But for now, I think you've done a good job, just keep an eye on her and if anything further develops to give you a clue as to whats troubling her, treat accordingly. Maybe try a few different treats to try and get her eating. And Probios. Always Probios.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Aren't both milk fever and Ketosis kidding related issues? Wildflower kidded in January. Thanks - I will keep an eye on her.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yes they are - I was assuming she was a freshly kidded doe as it seems like kidding season over there :)

hope she picks up for you and is just having an off day.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    calcium wouldnt be a bad idea to drench her with -- sometimes the whole milk production thing is a hard on their bodies.

But she could be coming down with something. I have a goat who gets a low temp 101 when she has an infection. So for her she doesnt get a fever.

If the temp doesnt rise I would be thinking about antibiotics - and note you cant drink the milk for 3 days after the last dose of whatever you are giving her so if you are using the milk for your consumption just an FYI. Its ok for bottle kids though

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did she shake more after milking? If so then I'd give her a good dose of calcium drench. It is a bit late for her to have a calcium issue, but it's not unheard of.

I'd give her some Milk of Magnesia if you have it to help coat her rumen in case she's having a bit of a rumen upset, but don't give the calcium and MOM at the same time.

7. Looks like you have good advise. I would check her eyes to make sure you are good on color and the only thing I might add is liquid B12 that you can get over the counter at the drug store. It helped us leaps and bounds when we were dealinging with ill babies.

8. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I of coarse don't have MOM or calcium. I do have tums and pepto though. I will take a temp again in a bit and see where we are...

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Tums will work. If she won't eat them willingly, crush a bunch and add some water, drench them down her.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great advice... :thumb: I would give her probiotic paste and baking soda to... if you have any.... Also take her temp again if you took it in the morning take it in the evening, then check it at least 1 time daily... until she is better.... watch for a sub temp or the temp to rise.... keep us updated... :wink:

11. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    temp 101.5. When should I be concerned? Now? I will drench with the tums and baking soda. Did nutra drench and probios

12. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    temp up to 102 now but not eating or drinking still. Drenched again with baking soda, probios, tums and a tiny bit of nutra drench in water. Haven't seen a bowel movement or urination and she is grinding her teeth a little. Still standing though.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    seems like her temp is going up but nothing major just yet. If it continues to rise I would put her on antibiotics.

14. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    temp 101.8. I did see her take a couple drinks of water in addition to me drenching her and she did eat a few handfuls of hay. She refused the grain which is still very odd and her udder was pretty empty (even after a 9 hour fill- maybe 1/4-1/2 c) She still seems shaky (literally shaking at times esp. hind legs). I did see her urinate and have a bowel before I put her away. What else can I do? I don't know whether to give an antibiotic or not. She doesn't really have any symptoms that make me think it is a bacterial infection.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you give her calcium?

16. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    tums disolved in water with baking soda and probios. I didn't have any calcium (It's on my Hoegger list...)

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    go to TSC tomorrow right away and get whatever they have for calcium. THey have cal-c-fresh, a liquid calcium drench for goats, CMPK etc she needs at least 20-30ccs

18. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    What do you suspect???

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    something calcium related. I have this happen from time to time after kidding and yes I know she kidded in Jan but the symptoms are the same and calcium is the only thing that helps.

I am not good with the technical stuff I just know what i do in a situation like yours. Now if it isnt calcium related then the calcium wont hurt her = she will just pea it out I hear as long as it is giving as a drench and not IV.

20. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    TSC has 1 bottle of calcium drench (8oz). Not the brand you said. I am going tomorrow at 8 to get it.