Will a buck breed a doe not in heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Feb 10, 2014.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    A friend of mine has a doe who never shows any signs of being in heat. She has tried buck rags and she acts the same everyday for months towards it. So she brought her doe to me today to keep for a few days and maybe it will bring her into heat. He was defiantly showing signs of her being in heat. She peed and he was just so excited. Peeing on himself and flehming response. He was blubbering at her and doing all the buck things when a doe is in heat. He tried to mount her and she kept running away. No getting that thing near me she said. I had to hold her so he could mount her. She was rearing up and jumping at me. She finally settled and let him mount her and he got her. So do you think she could be in heat? She never calls for a buck at her place. Nor shows another signs.

2. Goat_in_Himmel

Goat_in_Himmel Active Member

Jun 23, 2013
    British Columbia
    In my not very great experience, a buck might try to breed any doe at any point in her cycle...skirt-chasers, they are! But he might be more insistent and obsessive when a doe is in actual heat. Whether the doe stands for the buck is another matter. (I have heard that some bucks will try to breed anything that doesn't run faster than he does.) In five months' time you might find out whether the doe was in heat or not. :wink:

3. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    Yup, when mine's in a mood he'll try to mount them the second they stop to pee and they have to hurry up and run off. I would keep her there for a week or so and see if her attitude towards him changes.

4. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    If she settled down and stood, I expect she likes his smell and that should stimulate her enough to ovulate for him. Goats are funny that way.

5. surveyman

surveyman New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I've got a boer buck that bred one particular doe regularly for over two months. He had a harness on and she's got so much purple dye on her it may take a year to wear off.

6. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    My buck's companion is a doe who will not settle (horrible first delivery, never got pregnant again). He breeds her all the time and she just stands for him. So your answer is 'yes'

7. Wild Hearts Ranch

Wild Hearts Ranch www.wildheartsranch.org

Dec 26, 2011
    I need to find my one of those! My buck wants nothing to do with wethers but I feel bad for him spending half the year alone. Well, he's been out on breeding leases since December so I guess he's not too lonely lol.