The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
It's been 30 days since I got Cecil castrated and he is chasing the girls like crazy and trying to mount. Is this normal?
Ours do when the girls are in season. Otherwise they leave them alone. Both were banded about four months old and are now a year and two years old. I have head that some people keep a wether for just that reason... if they have a doe with silent heats they know they are in by the wethers being goobers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay good! I figured it was normal, but I just wanted to make sure. When he goes after the little ones, I spray him with my water bottle because I don't want him to hurt them.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Hi Mishyla. Cecil is quite a handful isn't he. Do you think he needs "time out" for a little while? Are your youngest girls in heat by any chance? I know the possibility of him breeding them now is pretty slim. Pregnancy is not really an issue anymore. I am also concerned he could hurt the kids. I don't think a spray bottle is going to stop him more than momentarily from lusting after them. You might want to think about putting him back into his own pen again for a little while.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So, I too have a whether mounting his sisters. I figured mounting was normal, but we saw him extend just far enough to take a drink. Is THAT normal? He 3 months old when I banded him and he's 5 months old now.
(Sorry if I should have started my own thread, but I thought it tied closely to the original question.)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have an 18 month old wether who started mounting literally everyone else once our buck went into rut and the girls started coming into heat. It's annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts