The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to Big R and our local vet supply and all they have are horse and cow hobbles. Will they work for my doe? She's a Snubian (SP?)

If my doe kids at 2 in the morn and I don't have frozen colostrum how does that work? Do I have to milk her at 2am? I'm planning on bottle feeding.

Is there a recipe for colostrum because the bought stuff seems kinda pricey.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
What are you using the hobbles for?

For the colostrum, the doe should be milked within the first 12 hours, but the sooner the better. If you aren't doing CAE prevention, then you can always leave the kids with the dam for a day or two.
Really...there's no good colostrum replacement...even the goat specific replacers aren't all that great.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm going to use them to milk my doe. This is her 3rd kidding and has never been milked. She's fine if she has grain but the minute the grain is gone she realizes what I'm doing and tries to get away :)

·
1,524 Posts
Are you using a milking stand? If so, does the head lock in securely? Horse and cow hobbles are way too big to be used safely on a goat.

If I need something to make them stand still, I take a piece of baling twin and make a loop, putting one end thru the loop around the far leg, taking the loose part of the twine and wrapping it around the leg closest to me and securing it with a quick release hitch. This keeps the back legs from kicking or dumping the bucket.

If you plan on bottle feeding, that kid will need to get the colostrum as soon as possible after birth. Yes, you will need to milk the doe either right or shortly after she gives birth.

Nothing beats mothers colostrum. Some of the packaged stuff is ok in an emergency, but you need antibodies that are specific for your farm. That only comes from does at your farm. Fresh is always best and healthiest. If you have to use the powdered or gel stuff, make sure it has the amount of % of iG listed. That is the antibody levels. If it is not listed, the supplement does not contain it and will not help keep your kids safe from diseases.

·
1,524 Posts
Another thing that works as goat hobbles is a horses curb strap. You buckle each side to a rear leg. You just have to be careful because it can knock them off balance fairly easily and make them afraid of the stand.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm going to use them to milk my doe. This is her 3rd kidding and has never been milked. She's fine if she has grain but the minute the grain is gone she realizes what I'm doing and tries to get away :)
You need a milk stand. Trying to reliably and calmly milk without a stand is a fool's errand.

Sometimes you'll have one who's a problem even on the stand. I have two like that, they know how to push ALL my buttons; sidestepping, raising their legs, stomping, flipping their feed bowl off onto the ground. I tie a hay string to the back leg of the stand and make a loop in the other end and cinch down one leg. They get the message pretty fast and stand still.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need a milk stand. Trying to reliably and calmly milk without a stand is a fool's errand.

Sometimes you'll have one who's a problem even on the stand. I have two like that, they know how to push ALL my buttons; sidestepping, raising their legs, stomping, flipping their feed bowl off onto the ground. I tie a hay string to the back leg of the stand and make a loop in the other end and cinch down one leg. They get the message pretty fast and stand still.
I have a milking stand. I put her in the head stanchion to give her grain and she's ok until the grain runs out then she wants nothing to do with being touched. I'm not even milking her yet I'm just getting her use to being messed with and touched. She actually stepped off the milking stand in an effort to get away from me. I was afraid she was going to break her neck! I will try the hay string. She's my first goat and a problem child I guess it's all good for me not getting spoiled with an awesome doe than having a pill :p I love her all the same she's just a hand full

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have a milking stand. I put her in the head stanchion to give her grain and she's ok until the grain runs out then she wants nothing to do with being touched. I'm not even milking her yet I'm just getting her use to being messed with and touched. She actually stepped off the milking stand in an effort to get away from me. I was afraid she was going to break her neck! I will try the hay string. She's my first goat and a problem child I guess it's all good for me not getting spoiled with an awesome doe than having a pill :p I love her all the same she's just a hand full
She will get used to it. I have a couple kinders that one was supposed to be trained and well, she did the same thing. I had to milk her....;( so fought I did, and Yay I won. Her sister I just purchased last weekend, oh boy, I literally have to pick her up to get on the milk stand, good thing she's light:) If you don't have to milk out right now, I would just ease into it. My 2 Nubian/Lamancha girls I have been working with them. Nothing but brushing & petting for the 1st week, and then by the second week, I touched their udders, a little kicking at first, but nothing now:) This next week comes picking their hooves up..... Yah, wish me luck:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She will get used to it. I have a couple kinders that one was supposed to be trained and well, she did the same thing. I had to milk her....;( so fought I did, and Yay I won. Her sister I just purchased last weekend, oh boy, I literally have to pick her up to get on the milk stand, good thing she's light:) If you don't have to milk out right now, I would just ease into it. My 2 Nubian/Lamancha girls I have been working with them. Nothing but brushing & petting for the 1st week, and then by the second week, I touched their udders, a little kicking at first, but nothing now:) This next week comes picking their hooves up..... Yah, wish me luck:)
Good Luck!!! I've had Jaz on the stand for a month now every night same routine. I really did expect her to have settled down by now but she's still a pill :eek:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
colostrum should be given preferably within 1 hour of birth after 24 hours they dont absorb it well.
as far as the hobbles no horse and cow hobbles are too big. you havent really given her much of a chance to be milked. i think the hold her tail straight up method works as well as any thing

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
If my doe kids at 2 in the morn and I don't have frozen colostrum how does that work? Do I have to milk her at 2am? I'm planning on bottle feeding. (QUOTE)

I don't feed at two in the morning. I find that feeding them right before you go to bed and after you wake up works. My babies wait 12 hours at night unless they are weak. I know everyone thinking, "poor wittle babies" but really they're fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
colostrum should be given preferably within 1 hour of birth after 24 hours they dont absorb it well.
as far as the hobbles no horse and cow hobbles are too big. you havent really given her much of a chance to be milked. i think the hold her tail straight up method works as well as any thing
How can I hold her tail and milk her? This sounds like exactly what I need I just need more info :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts