The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
We keep a close eye out, and have LGDs as deterrents. Our vet said to also watch for vultures as they’ll peck the eyes out then come back when the dam abandons them. If we have very small ones we hold off, but they grow so quickly that most of the time when they’re a week old they’re large enough.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have 3 ND kids that are almost a week old and I want to let them out of the birthing stall and pen but I'm so scared an eagle or hawk will get them. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?
Thank you
Can they? Sure, it's possible. They have super sharp talons that can inflict great damage. Chances of it happening are very slim though. Being around larger goats, as said, is usually enough of a deterrence. Once kids are 5lbs or so, that is about the limit of what most hawks or eagles can/will carry(though there are times they can carry more). So even if one did try it, they couldn't get far and would most likely be met with an angry mama goat but again, the chances of that happening are SUPER slim. I have only ever heard of it happening once in the last 8 years. Hawks/Eagles are most likely to stick with rabbits/Rodents and not risk great bodily injury on a goat. They may eye them up but that's about it.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I put aviary netting on my kid pen. I had a hawk try to swoop down in the field though I have a small herd of 24. He wasn’t going for a bird or bunny either.
The other day a gal down the way lost a lamb to vultures there must of been a dozen stripping away at this little lamb.
I think it depends how far out of town you are as well as the hunting around you if they’re aggressive towards babies or not.
A great horned owl can carry off a cat...
Yes, let them out but watch for a few days to see the predator activity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts