The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I have decided that this island living isn't for me. I could go on a huge rant, but I won't....

back to Canada I go, which means i'll have to say goodbye to my girls. :(

we're currently tossed up between who to leave them with (friends who have been wanting to start a small hobby farm with a few animals or their breeder who LOVES her goats.....i'm currently leaning towards breeder).

this won't actually happen until early next year, so I have a few months to say goodbye, but i'm still sad. maybe one day i'll have goats again...when we get some nice land and a really good set up (not in Barbados...lol).

I know some of you have had goats on and off in your lives, and i'm just wondering how you coped when you had to say goodbye to your goaties?

·
558 Posts
Life happens, not always the way we planned. I'm sure its going to be sad. Good luck with your move and a new adventure though!! Hopefully you will be back here with a whole new herd soon!!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's goatiegirl! yes, I hope so too. it'll still be a while before they go, but we're looking for some land now, and I keep saying I want something somewhere I can have livestock! but...time to make some money before I can get the land I want!

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Yes, it will be sad to leave them behind but it sounds like you have 2 good options for them. I bet you will be glad to be back with family and friends. Good luck with moving back and I hope you can find land to have goats!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
First, I'm glad you get to move. I know from other posts you've made, you really didn't seem to like the island life.

Its good that you have 2 options and some time before you actually leave. I would take solace in knowing they'll go to a loving home no matter which one you choose.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i'll be heading back to Ontario, and we're looking for land in kind of the Muskoka/Algonquin park area.

and yes, I'm glad for my decision, but sad to say bye to some family members. hopefully i'll be able to visit them from time to time.

but...good news is I can start planning for a new herd. haha. always a silver lining, right??

·
1,983 Posts
Yes every rain cloud does seem to have a silver lining. What a difference tropics to subartic! Here is another silver lining good hard freezes that knock down worm loads.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not QUITE subartic. I was just in Iceland...THAT is subarctic. I would call it "temperate"...haha

·
1,983 Posts
It's gonna feel subartic! When we moved to Northern New Hampshire we thought we were going to freeze to death(that was in September). I love the weather here now, but we had to adjust! I have always wanted to go to Iceland! Was it nice?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Awe...those bitter sweet moments in life...Bitter to leave your goats behind..but sweet to move to the next chapter in your life....a chance to explore new breeds, new blood and a new focus....and that you have two great options for your goats to go to..There is no trick to the saddness...only healing when the sweet begins ot over shadow the bitter...Im excited for you...so much awaits you...!!!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's gonna feel subartic! When we moved to Northern New Hampshire we thought we were going to freeze to death(that was in September). I love the weather here now, but we had to adjust! I have always wanted to go to Iceland! Was it nice?
Iceland was AMAZING!!!!!! I recommend it to anyone who likes that sort of thing.....hiking, glaciers, sheep, cows....lol. not too many Icelandic goats anymore (only about 500 left on the whole island). oh, don't forget hot springs. the water tastes so clean....was drinking from streams and waterfalls, but tastes the same out of the tap (not the hot water...that's sulfury). it is cold though. between 9-12 celcius in the summer

yes, i'm happy to have finally made a decision, just sad to say bye to my pets. will miss those faces that's for sure!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I guess you're happy to go back to Cananda, lol! I'm happy for you there, and I know it'll be sad to part with your goats, but hey I can't wait to see your new ones! Assuming you WILL be getting new ones as soon as you get there, lol. Now you can start fresh with whatever kind you want. Sometimes I wish I could start over, I know so much more now. I would definitely have a different barn, that's for sure. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
so, I have decided that this island living isn't for me. I could go on a huge rant, but I won't....

back to Canada I go, which means i'll have to say goodbye to my girls. :(

we're currently tossed up between who to leave them with (friends who have been wanting to start a small hobby farm with a few animals or their breeder who LOVES her goats.....i'm currently leaning towards breeder).

this won't actually happen until early next year, so I have a few months to say goodbye, but i'm still sad. maybe one day i'll have goats again...when we get some nice land and a really good set up (not in Barbados...lol).

I know some of you have had goats on and off in your lives, and i'm just wondering how you coped when you had to say goodbye to your goaties?
I would give them the best month that they have ever had. With lots of treats and walks and daily cuddling. :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Awe yes, we left our herd in 1989 to move to Hawaii. It was the one thing I always missed when we lived there. We gave away or sold everything. Dogs, cats, goats, chickens, rabbits: even a couple of box and one pond turtle. Oh yeah, and a snake. I still miss them.
When we came back to the Mainland it was quite a few years before we got into it again. Now we are thinking of traveling when we retire next year. Same thing, we just cannot keep farming and travel to the extent that we want to. And right now I have the herd of my dreams. I hate the thought of starting over again in a few years.
Good luck on your new adventure. I hope those darling little frolickers will soon be part of your life again.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Uprooting is difficult, but with goals and dreams and a plan to achieve them, that's not so bad. I'm sorry Barbados didn't work out for you...I have visited, but living in the tropics is not something I can even easily imagine! I am in fact happy that your goats have a choices of good homes. It's not an option that all of us have, if we had to up stakes.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sorry you need to say good-bye to your goaties, but welcome to Ontario! Muskoka area is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure there's goat farms there for you to start a new herd! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts