Will he breed this year? Or Im I asking to much?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nubiansrus, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Im just curious, Ive heard bucks can breed as easrly as 3 months. And I have a buckling that is about 4 month and I had to remove him from his mother because he was trying to breed his sister. But then I have this boy, who seems to not have that desire yet LOL. He is 4 month old, and his name is Jasper. He is a 3/4ths Nubian, and a 1/4 th boer. He was supposed to be sold but I just love the way hes turning out. Wanted to see if hed breed a few girls this year. What are the chances hell breed in the next couple months? And Im I better off to give him several girls to see who he likes/like him or is it better to give them one or two?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you breeding for boer type goats? because he is rather slim for producing meat goats

3. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Nope. We breed Nubians. :)

Though the pics dont do him justice in the big chested area... Hmm. Hes actually not a thin boy lol

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like to see more thickness to a buck -- not just width.

but he could jsut be in an awkward growing state

5. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Umm thank but could you give an opinion on what I posted for LOL

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    He very well might breed in the next few months - but he may not. If you are wanting him to breed a couple girls, I would put him in with a few yearlings and see what he does. The reason I say yearlings, is that they tend to be a little less aggressive to push him away. Also, make sure that there are not other bucks in with them.

I had one buck that bred at about 5 months and another that was well over a year before he "figured it out" - :shrug:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... he can breed ....I wouldn't give him to many... as he will forget about eating.....breeding that young ...is OK ...but remember... it may stunt him from lack of interest in food and more into the interest of the does.....Older does as Allison mentioned... do think of him as a juvenile and laugh at him and may fight him off.....but there is that chance... that he may breed the older ones to... it just depends....put him in with them ...and see.......Good luck :wink: :greengrin:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do believe he will breed. I had a new buck last year in with yearlings. We were very happy with the babies, but like the others said. Don't put to many in with him. He will not have a good amount of sperm built up so he will not be able to bred as many as a older buck. Now mine was able to bred older does without any problem. I was a little worried because he was shorter then the does but lets just say when they have a will they find a way.

I have always used my new bucks every year and have always gotten babies. Mine are about 7 to 8 months old when they are breeding.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL....If he's acting like a buck then he should be raring to go! I agree though with just going with FF does, the older girls seem to be pickier and could hurt his pride :wink:

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yah - you don't want a buck with no "get up and go" ---- or a "confused" buck like mine - :ROFL: :ROFL: Sorry - had to say it

11. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Yeah I figured yearlings would be the best to put in with him. I didnt think about the whole rutting and not eating for the next few months, or not being focused on it. Good thing hes in good weight, hes in with a couple wethers that havent sold yet, and he gets all the food. Hmm. Thank you all for your opinions. Now to pick what girls. Maybe I should have let you guys help with that lol. I have this brown boer [she was given to me] and shes a huge girl... and about a year old. I was hoping to use her on him, but I think she might scare him. LOL.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL....Wait til she's in heat then give him a go at her!! He won't mind her size then!

13. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

LOL. Thats my hope. I just wish he was like my la mancha buckling. Hes already mounting everything and hes not quite 4 months. Hes terrible!! [But will be great when I need him to breed ]

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sure he will know what to do when it is his turn. I mean don't all males :ROFL: Just kidding.

I have my little one and he seemed like he could care less until a doe in heat comes around, then he acts like a buck and starts the lip thing and peeing. I told him since he is peeing in his face I will NOT be kissing it anymore. :shrug:

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Lori!!! :ROFL: :ROFL:

16. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

LOL that will be the case with this guy as well. Bucks are sooo gross.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep...just make sure ..you keep an eye on him.... :wink:

All you girls are to funny....LOL :ROFL: