Will I be able to breed them this year?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I have two alpines I would like to breed for 2010 kids, but I am not sure if they will be heavy enough. They were both born late February, and come from somewhat slow growing and small mature size lines. According to my weight tape, they weight between 50# and 60# each. I know that is quite small. They should both only mature at about 120# tops. I would like them to weight at least 75# before I breed them. I don't want to wait till next year, as I am considering selling at least one of them as a FF. The lasted I would like to breed them is late November for late April kids. Do you think this will be ok?

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I have heard that ideally they should be at least 80 lbs when bred.

We have two Nubian doelings that were born in March this year- Im hoping to breed them of March 2010 for Summer 2010 kids, I think they should be an ideal weight by then- and will also be kidding at a year and a half, as opposed to a just turned yearling.
    My does will be bred to a Nigerian buck for mini Nubies, so I could probably get away with breeding them sooner, but Id rather not

I would wait and see in November how big your girls are and then decide from there- why do they need to kid by April?

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks! I would like kids by April, May at the latest because of the heat, the age I would like them for the fair, and because of how hectic it is in the summer, it is nice to be able to spend more time with the kids.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The problem with them being bred to early is it takes so much away from them to make that baby or two.

I have had goats have babies like on their first birthday, they were way to small and it was a total accident. It took those does a couple years to catch up.

5. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I agree with ProctorHills, I'd wait until November and see what they weigh. I have 1 nubian who comes from the slower growing lines, and she wasn't bred until she was a year and a half old, so she kidded just a couple of months before she turned 2.

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I bred one of the 3 Lamanchas I had last year for babies this spring. She kidded one day after her year birthday. She kidded just fine (but of course it was a mini kid, not purebred). Anyway, she was the exact same size as the two same age yearlings who weren't bred so I don't believe it takes much away from them to be bred as they grow. Not to mention I freshen a lot of doelings at a year old in Nigerians. They too grow at the same rate as open does. Now, I do have Nigerians that I wait out because they aren't big enough to be bred to kid at a year. I go by each doe's size before determing who gets bred and when. Those who grow out big and fast get bred a little earlier than those who are slow to grow.

So to sum up, if your does are growing slowly and come from slow growing lines, I'd wait them out. If they don't mature enough by Oct/Nov then try a summer kidding. Good luck!

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, like some others have said--I would wait until November and see how much they weigh then. They may or may not make it to where they need to be--20-25lb is a lot of weight to put on in 2 months, though.

If they make it to 80lbs, there's no reason to hold off on breeding. With proper nutrition, they will continue to grow normally, even being pregnant. In my experience, breeding young dairy does HAS NOT affected their growth as long as they make it to that 80lb mark.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im sure most of you have heard me say I hate having dry yearlings. Its a goat that i have to feed for another year while they are doing nothing. Late kids i will hold over as dry yearlings but i breed them on their first heat of the next year. As long as they hit that eighty lb mark i would breed them. I actually find that they get a growth spurt in about their third month of pregnancy
    I also dont like kids born after april 15 and i try to avoid it. I have had kis born as late as june, with does for one reason or another didnt settle. but again i try to avoid it.
    beth

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Its funny you said that too, they tend to grow wider than bigger too if you have to hold them over. LOL I've seen that a lot with does I've had to keep over, even some who were originally just not big enough in the beginning, but then didn't cycle in heat until the following fall. :p Those does sure know how to eat! :)

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

this is very true, does who are not bred their first year tend to get fat pockets, especially under their shoulder blades, that never seem to go away. They are always thicker, even after they have been bred several times. I also had an apraiser tell me that last year.
    beth

11. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thanks everyone, I will try to get them to make it. The reason why I wan them bred really badly, is because there is a local buck who I really want them bred to. His dam is located about 300 miles away, and the price on her 2010 kids is $600, which is pretty high, plus the first doe kid is being retained. But her 2009 son is being offered for breeding at $60 per doe, so I could get grandbabies out of that really nice doe, with them also having my lines in them, for only $120 for both the does. Plus probably having something extra to sell. A much better deal for me. After I get the do kid out of this buck and either of my does, I will then decide whether or not to sell the does, which will either give me more milk, or will build up the dairy goat numbers in my area. I am very excited to do all of this, and unless I have to, I don't want to wait a whole year, so I will wait until December if I must, for May kids. I don't want to have June kids as I have camp and I will just be really busy with summer.
    Ashlyn

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Whos the buck out of?
    Is he an alpine?
    beth

13. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Yes the buck is Purebred Alpine, his dam is PJ Bailey's Anzella

14. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Where are you located in Ohio, Nupine?

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Nice doe! I have seen her before, I first saw her as a yearling and she really attracted my attention then. I had actually talked with them about putting a deposit on a buck from her, before she ever freshened.
    She has really come into her own as a milker. She will definatly be one to watch for in the future.

16. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    She is really an attention grabber, Sparks, not only with her color but also her dairy character, and she has a very pretty udder. I am located in Woodsfield Ohio, which is in the south eastern region.

17. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Oh, I am in the Toledo area...I know of a gal by me who has Alpines and has a few bucks for sale for either $100 or $125...They have PJ lines too. I have their website address if you're interested.

18. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would be interested! I love look at peoples websites.
    beth

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    OK, I'll PM you Beth! ;)

20. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Could you give me the website also? I need to find a Alpine buck near me to breed my doe