Will I ever learn this?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by nancy d, Jan 30, 2008.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I confess, I do not like all the building going on around here. Beautiful homes going up.
    A gorgeous home went up down the road. Must have been $900 thou on maybe an acre. Doesn't even really fit in.
    Finally got used to it being there but did my fair share of complaining to hubby.
    So guess what we go to church and this woman stops me I didn't know who she was. "Pastor Jim says we are neighbors"
    Lord gave me a big time tude check!!
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Lord gave you a swift kick in the behind on that one.

But I understand about the building, it isn't fun watching things being built and taking over the beautfil open land that once was there.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The issue is a problem with me!! My attitude with bldg.
    The same general thing several yrs ago with new homes going up a few miles away.
    Grumble grumble grumble.
    Daughter made a new friend. Get on the phone with her mom to arrange a visit. The closer she got to explaining where they lived the stronger the conviction.
    Mom was just people, so unpretentious. And the daughter happened to be blind.
    I never really knew I could have so much prejudism about alot of things until He has me meet the people who actually live in those houses :shocked: !
  4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    a lot of times our hatred of the thing makes us miss the the people.

He obviously wants get through to you by putting them in your path.
  5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I know the feeling about the buiolding, though my dad is a builder. We moved to Whidbey 11 years ago this past october. My dad hasn't had to leave this island for sinse then. We were lucky enough to purchase a three bedroom house on two acres that was built in the late seventies. We live at the end of a culdasac, but we have heard rumor of builders coming in and completly tearing down the woods next to us and putting in two hundred and something new homes. And not really nice ones either, more like the cheaper ones that they get up as fast as they can. However we do have some fight grounds on it as there is a seasonal creek that flows through those woods. The county gave a stink when the people across the street decided to put up a new pole barn, said they were too close to the creek, so if they can;t have their pole barn then how can these developers come in and build their two hundred and some houses?
    It is frustrating how fast things are being developed and i can certainly see where you are comiing from. Even though there may be great people that live in that house.
    Especially if new neighbors don;t like livestock, had that happen a few years ago, what could i say my goats were there before they were. Now several years later there is a country song recently put out by montgomery gentry called what do you think about that. Had it been out then i probably would of blasted it as loud as i possibly could. Even if you don't like country its a good song for this type of thing.
  6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I don't think from what you said you have a real problem- maybe making an assumption that didn't pan out but I don't like lots of building either- too many people move out to the "country" then make themselves obnoxious because it isn't just like the city. Bad smells, animals noise, etc-And they drive past my horse and me on the road at 50 miles an hour 6 inches off my stirrup in a 35 mph zone. They put "no Trespassing" signs everywhere and trespass on my place. My next door neighbor objected to the flies that come for a time in the summer- she just assumed it was my problem when in fact I pick all my pasture and pens every day. She threw anything into their open compost pile which attracted flies and black bear. Now they have a horse beside one boarded and don't pick anything yet she wanted me to buy preditor flies for $100 - I did it to be a good neighbor for a couple of years but $100 is too much- especially considering they can't be bothered to pick their animals poop nor compost correctly.
    She had a hired woman to garden for her and then said, when that woman quit, how was she going to get a garden in without her- huh put in in yourself for pete's sake.
    So no- I don't like building in general either- one bad neighbor makes life too bad.
  7. Seminole Wind

Seminole Wind New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Well, this is an interesting topic. With 46 acres and lots of farm and pasture ground around us, won't have to worry about anyone coming in and putting up these "houses" that can be blown down by a moderate wind.

This is Seminole Wind in Central Kansas. The weatherman missed the mark here on the snow--didn't get as much as predicted. YAY.
    Over around Salina, Kansas, they are paving over farm ground at an alarming rate just outside the city limits. Don't they realize that once the farm ground is gone, it can never be replaced. Hope they learn how to eat black top and cement.
    Over 40 years ago, they did the same thing to the Kent and Puyallup Valley, Washington, farm ground which had some of the most productive truck grounds in that area. Building homes on hillsides that would slide down the hill when there was a lot of rain. The rat-race, noise, pollution, and raising our property taxes everytime I planted a rose bush, or did other improvements to our little place, is the biggest reason we moved to Kansas almost 10 years ago. Also, we could not afford to buy even a small farm in Washington. Here it is almost 10 years later, and we have 3 places--One 3.2 acre place was the first one we bought in 1998 when we retired early, this 46 acre place we bought in August of last year, and we bought a 10 acre place just a few miles NE of us for the youngest daughter who will be Moving from Tacoma, Wa. to Kansas the first week of March. She too got tired of all the stuff going on where she lives, and paying $ 1000.00 a month for rent for a 3-BR place for her and 3 kids.
    BTW, I spent 36 years in Seattle, and saw many changes--none of which were good, My husband worked at Todd and Lockheed shipyards in Seattle for 30 years.
    This old world is going to ---- and no handbasket is big enough to catch it or prevent it. :shades:

I raise KIKO, Boer, and dairy goats. Need to put up a better goat barn in the Spring, as this cattle loafing shed just isn't cutting it. The big old red barn no end doors and is really drafty. Tough to put kidding pens in it, plus no way for my LGD to get over there to protect them. May just tear down the two goat barns at our other mini-farm and bring the materials over here and put up a great big barn. I built both of those barns in 2004-05.
    Their stories are on my farm website at: http://geocities.com/shadow_walker_farm_kikos

Seminole Wind in snowy Central Kansas.
  8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
  9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Welcome to the goats spot! I see you lived in my neck of the woods for some time. i certainly know what you mean about rent, i can;t find a three bedroom place for under twelve hundred a month, let alont a place where i can have twelve goats.
    Im living on whidbey island now, love it here but don;t love the rain. We didn't get as much snow as they had predicted either. They had put out a national weather service high snow alert for our area, we got an inch. The ice was another story.
    But last year when they had predicted one to two inches we got a foot and a half!
    I guess i will never learn either...
  10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I was thinking about disappearing farm land today- with all the hype about global economioes, maybe people think that we can simply import any food- but how can we support the large populations without good farms?
    People here tend to build in the best farm areas because they are flat and usually have good water- that seems the totally wrong thing. I think that people should consider that before they allow building. It wouldn't be so bad but most people do not even garden on their couple of acres. And I hate to think of the run off from the auto in the driveways and herbacides and the fertilizers for lawns.