The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nubian doe is lopsided. Much less milk on one side than the other. No problem. She had twins last year and had no problem feeding them both. This year she had a single, and I let her nurse for about 2.5 months without milking. Her smaller side is now very small. I've taken away the kid at night, and she's giving a little over a quart per milking, but I'm only getting an ounce or two from her small side. I can live with that, but I'm concerned about her next kidding and lactation.

Do you think that side will come back? Does the atrophying progress? I know it will never match her good side, but I'd like it to at least come back to prior levels.

·
Super Moderator
59,286 Posts
The problem is that her small side is learning to dry up quickly. So you may have a problem with it in the future. Next time, I would be sure to milk out the small side from day one.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Are you sure she doesn't have mastitis? Often staph mastitis will only present itself as a lopsided udder. If she has had/does have mastitis some damage has likely already been done and she probably won't ever milk the same on that side.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is on her third lactation and she has always been lopsided. I don't think she's had mastitis.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She had a single the first year, but the kid died shortly after kidding. It never suckled as far as I know. I milked her from day one. The second year she had twins and they nursed both sides as far as I know.

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
CaE doesn't always present it self just by looking and sypmtoms can be unknoticable,. I raised a doe for 4 years before her knee swelled up. She tested pos. for CaE. Hinds sight was she never filled to full compacity. Never caught on that she might be CaE pos. Threeothers had no sign whats so ever..healthy, good producers...but Positive. testing is the only way to know for sure. I would also test for mastisis just to rule it out.

Best wishes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts