The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard that billies know when does r in heat? He is younger and need access to his pen at least twice a day. Can I avoid him ever trying to attack me while in rut by always keeping a doe w him during rut season

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I herd someone mention a blow horn works good. Scares the crap outta em. The problem with keeping a single doe in with him, he is going to keep trying to breed her even after she was done. Which is a bad time for you to be going in there, when the doe is in heat if he is already being a jerk without trying to "protect" his property. No you need to train that bad outta him now while he is still small enough to do so or you are going to be in for it next year and every year to come.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
I had a bottle baby turn into a buck in rut. I removed him from the does because he kept harassing them constantly and placed him in my vegetable garden. Poor girls couldn't get a break from him. Even after he was out of rut, but still under a year old, his behavior just kept getting worse. He had a need to butt everything and my finger wound up getting caught in the gate because of him. We had no choice to sell him as he was becoming to dangerous. Leaving him with a doe will not solve your problem, just cause problems for the poor girls.

·
1,524 Posts
Being kept with does or not, you need to teach your buck to behave himself and respect you. That is what keeps him from being aggressive. I have done both, kept bucks with does and alone or with other bucks/wethers. None of this had any effect on his behavior. I make sure they understand that I am the dominant goat on the property and respect me as such. I have never had a mean buck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hes not aggressive now. He hasn't tried anything dumb either. He cries for the doe when taken out of his pen but never gets defensively. There is a whether w him but he likes to have a doe w him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts