The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing some strange behavior from Bella today with her buckling, Benjamin. Any time he gets his head near hers she will butt him. Not very roughly, but enough to push him away. His belly is full and she's letting him nurse, but I'm just a bit worried about this. We disbudded Benjamin yesterday and she's been a bit put off by the smell of his head, but he's been nursing so I figured it wasn't a big deal, but now I'm not so sure. Is this something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I'm seeing some strange behavior from Bella today with her buckling, Benjamin. Any time he gets his head near hers she will butt him. Not very roughly, but enough to push him away. His belly is full and she's letting him nurse, but I'm just a bit worried about this. We disbudded Benjamin yesterday and she's been a bit put off by the smell of his head, but he's been nursing so I figured it wasn't a big deal, but now I'm not so sure. Is this something to be concerned about?
As long as she's letting him nurse you're probably ok. I'd watch that he's gaining weight, and not getting rejected. It depends on the doe.

Last year my doe Luna rejected Molly after disbudding no matter what I did. Today Mollywobbles is a spoiled former bottle baby and I wouldn't trade her in.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's letting him nurse well so far, even changing her stance so he can get to the teat. She just seems to be offended by the way his head smells. I figured if he was being rejected it would be an on an off change, can it be something that happens slowly?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
She's letting him nurse well so far, even changing her stance so he can get to the teat. She just seems to be offended by the way his head smells. I figured if he was being rejected it would be an on an off change, can it be something that happens slowly?
Luna was unsure of Molly at first but after a day or so she outright rejected her. I'd just keep a close eye. Like I said, every doe is different. I've had other does act like nothing happened and others who took it slow...it's a wait and see thing. I hope it's all good for little Ben though. How's Arwen?

When's Prim due? Isn't it really soon?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Did you shave off the hair around the horn buds?
Yes I did, but maybe I could have done it more.

Luna was unsure of Molly at first but after a day or so she outright rejected her. I'd just keep a close eye. Like I said, every doe is different. I've had other does act like nothing happened and others who took it slow...it's a wait and see thing. I hope it's all good for little Ben though. How's Arwen?

When's Prim due? Isn't it really soon?
"Arwen's" :lolgoat: doing great. She hasn't been disbudded yet, and I think that might be helping Bella.

Prims on day 149. I went to check on her overnight last night because it was really cold and I wasn't sure if her ligs were softening, but nothing's happened yet. I'm going to get some pictures of her over on my kidding thread.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I’ve got one who will reject her kids after disbudding, but it is an immediate reaction and she’s not gently butting. For her, we tie her up for about 24 hrs after a kid is disbudded. The tie is long enough so she can eat, drink, and lay down, but short enough so the kid can get out of the way if she starts getting nasty. The kid can still nurse, and she’s usually accepted them within 12-24 hrs of being tied. We also spray their heads with blue kote and alushield to help block the smell. I’ve since read about using lochia from the doe and putting that on the kids head so it smells like her kid again. I’m going to try that this year for my doe.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's still letting Benjamin drink, but I still saw some of the same un-motherly behavior today. I'm going to inspect his head tomorrow and see if I can shave off any burnt hair that might be there. Ugh, this is so nerve wracking. I hope this doesn't happen with her doeling too.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I've got one who will reject her kids after disbudding, but it is an immediate reaction and she's not gently butting. For her, we tie her up for about 24 hrs after a kid is disbudded. The tie is long enough so she can eat, drink, and lay down, but short enough so the kid can get out of the way if she starts getting nasty. The kid can still nurse, and she's usually accepted them within 12-24 hrs of being tied. We also spray their heads with blue kote and alushield to help block the smell. I've since read about using lochia from the doe and putting that on the kids head so it smells like her kid again. I'm going to try that this year for my doe.
So you're planning to save some of her afterbirth discharge (Lochia) to rub on the kids head after you've disbudded him?
Interesting concept but sounds unsanitary to me. I'll be interested to hear more.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
She's still letting Benjamin drink, but I still saw some of the same un-motherly behavior today. I'm going to inspect his head tomorrow and see if I can shave off any burnt hair that might be there. Ugh, this is so nerve wracking. I hope this doesn't happen with her doeling too.
It's hard to watch your doe act like this. I was so frustrated with Luna at first, but I also knew it could happen I just wish it hadn't. So i understand.
How's Prim. Thought I'd check in before bed.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Udder's looking fuller and fuller. Ligs are lower, but still hard. We're going to check on her every three hours over night to make sure we don't miss anything. Thanks for checking in, I really appreciate it.;)

·
8,066 Posts
After you disbud, give the kid back rump first, so the first thing mom smells is her kid's rear end. Then stick him under her at her udder.

I try and grab kids to disbud when they first wake up from a nap and are hungry. After the disbud, they are real eager to eat. The mom only smells the rear end, so she doesn't realize his head may be different.

·
Registered
840 Posts
So you're planning to save some of her afterbirth discharge (Lochia) to rub on the kids head after you've disbudded him?
Interesting concept but sounds unsanitary to me. I'll be interested to hear more.
I'm not planning on saving any, but most of my does have discharge on and off for 2-3 weeks, well past the point of disbudding. I'm not going to put it on the freshly burned area, but maybe behind that area, on the ears, and on the nose. That doe is such a jerk about her kids being disbudded, I'm willing to try it. She's the only one I've had who rejects her kids. At least she gets over it quickly.

We do the butt first introductions too. I try not to let the dams smell their burnt heads.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I'm not planning on saving any, but most of my does have discharge on and off for 2-3 weeks, well past the point of disbudding. I'm not going to put it on the freshly burned area, but maybe behind that area, on the ears, and on the nose. That doe is such a jerk about her kids being disbudded, I'm willing to try it. She's the only one I've had who rejects her kids. At least she gets over it quickly.

We do the butt first introductions too. I try not to let the dams smell their burnt heads.
Thanks, I was wondering how you were going to do it. Keep us posted on how it works please.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After you disbud, give the kid back rump first, so the first thing mom smells is her kid's rear end. Then stick him under her at her udder.

I try and grab kids to disbud when they first wake up from a nap and are hungry. After the disbud, they are real eager to eat. The mom only smells the rear end, so she doesn't realize his head may be different.
I actually did present him butt first. I think if I hadn't he would have been full on rejected.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I had a first freshener who was low on our goat-em pole, friendless, and tried to pull rank on other does' babies before kidding herself who was dumb about her own kid and wanted to spar with her kid. She was happy to continue feeding the kid, but was playing rough. I scolded her soundly the first time I saw it, and the lightbulb finally clicked and luckily she stopped. Not exactly the same situation, but thought I'd mention it since yours is a FF, too.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a first freshener who was low on our goat-em pole, friendless, and tried to pull rank on other does' babies before kidding herself who was dumb about her own kid and wanted to spar with her kid. She was happy to continue feeding the kid, but was playing rough. I scolded her soundly the first time I saw it, and the lightbulb finally clicked and luckily she stopped. Not exactly the same situation, but thought I'd mention it since yours is a FF, too.
Thanks @singinggoatgirl, I appreciate all the advice I can get. I'm just so confused about the situation. I saw her this morning acting like she didn't want her babies to drink, even her doeling, but then again the babies weren't trying very hard. They also seemed to be driving her nuts trying to jump on her while she was eating hay so maybe she just doesn't like to take any crap? Then this afternoon I saw both babies drinking long, so I don't know what to think. Maybe because she's the herd queen she's not used to having her personal space violated.

I wonder if I should start babies on a bottle just in case. I do not want to pull them even if she flat out rejects them. I would rather do a, tie Bella up and let them drink type of thing, but if the babies still need milk overnight, it would probably be easier for me to bring them inside for night time and bottle feed them at night. Opinions?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
If she’s letting them good long drinks I think you’re probably ok. It never hurts or teach the babies to take the bottle and it’s kinda fun too. I’d give Bella the benefit of the doubt for now though. Kids can be annoying ;)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, so if I want to teach them to take a bottle, how would I go about doing that as far as milking Bella goes? Can I just milk her at any time? How full should I leave her udder? She always seems to have a lot of milk.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts