Will my bucklings ever be weaned?!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by koleyfam, May 23, 2014.

1. koleyfam

koleyfam New Member

Mar 2, 2014
    My alpine doe Daisy had twin bucklings the end of February. I began to wean them at about 2 1/2 months by separating them from their mama, first at night then all day in a separate pasture. They are eating plenty of alfalfa & drinking water no problem. So its been three weeks or more, and when they get near her all they want to do is nurse! I can't keep them together at all, she lets them and isn't interested in weaning them herself.
    Do you think i'll ever be able to keep them together? or does it just take a long time? I even tried a "goat bra" udder cover on her, but she is Houdini and gets it off in a very short period of time......
    Thanks!

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    I had the same problem. I had to seperate for three months, THEN I had to tape her to keep them off. It worked, but what a pain.

3. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've had kids that were separated for several months(4-6) get back with their mother and immediately try to nurse - some does allow it, others do not. It has been my experience that the best way to effectively wean a kid is to keep them separate at least a year. My weaning doelings do not join the main herd until after they have kidded for the first time. Mom and daughter will usually buddy back up, but no one has tried to nurse thus far.

4. koleyfam

koleyfam New Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Thanks so much for the input. I do have a separate pen/pasture I can put the bucklings in, so I guess the best we will do at this point is to put a small shelter in there and keep them there full time. They can see each other but be separate :) Summer is about here so the weather should be good enough.

This is our first year with goats, so I am learning A LOT! You guys here at the Goat Spot are a great help to us!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Are these boys still intact or wethers?

6. koleyfam

koleyfam New Member

Mar 2, 2014
    The bucklings are wethers now. Does this matter much, in regards to weaning? we didn't want intact males, since there are plenty of bucks around our area and we didn't want the smell (and all the other bucky stuff that goes along....)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I was concerned with them maybe being intact, as they may breed momma's and young Does.
    No, it doesn't matter whether or not they are wethers or bucklings.