The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to goats have 4 males just for vegetation control. Had horses do it last year but they overgrazed quickly. The goats seem to have taken things down but not nearly as much as thought. Only half the pasture has been ustilized and the other is over grown but dry. Both are dry with various grasses shrubs weeds. Do I need to supplement them more then the 5 acres they have? And will they ever clear it for fire breaks? We give loose minerals lawn and yard clippings grains a little every few days.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
I can’t tell what kind of weeds you have there but I’m also in California foothills and no they will not eat most things right now. If you have foxtail they really won’t touch it even green once it gets to head. Most weeds that have green to them right now are nasty weeds. So this year I say mow it down. Next year though before it dries out cut their feed back or out and make them eat it. This is how I get my 100’ clearance every year ;) but Goats are very smart. If they have a easy way to get feed they will take it. Not saying for this year, like I said it’s probably too late but for next year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't tell what kind of weeds you have there but I'm also in California foothills and no they will not eat most things right now. If you have foxtail they really won't touch it even green once it gets to head. Most weeds that have green to them right now are nasty weeds. So this year I say mow it down. Next year though before it dries out cut their feed back or out and make them eat it. This is how I get my 100' clearance every year ;) but Goats are very smart. If they have a easy way to get feed they will take

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response I do have foxtails. Thistle aswelll they seem to still be eating the thistle. Would you recommend feeding grass hay or what is a good supplement?

·
Administrator
85,656 Posts
Goats need copper but sheep cannot has it.
Goats need free choice loose salt and minerals, to keep healthy.
I myself don't like mixing the two, but some do. That is just me I guess.

Sheep can carry CL too. If you are just wanting to bring them in. So be careful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts