The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had a for that I recently purchased from a sale. When we brought her home we realized she had clogged up breathing. But I thought it would clear up. But it hasn't and it has been a few weeks. So now she has a cough, so I assume it is pneumonia. Will she get over it? Will she die soon? She still has an appetite. What meds do I give her? Please help I think it might be an emergency! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
With it going on for so long, she could have lung damage. You need to get Draxxin from the vet.

2 shots given 7 days apart.

What is her temp? It would be better if the vet could look her over.

·
2,203 Posts
Sounds like a shipping fever type pneumonia. Easily cured. Grab some Draxxjn from the vet. Possibly Dexamethasone too if not pregnant.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I agree get her fixed up as fast as you can. It does damage and more of a chance of getting it again later in life.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
There is a kind of pneumonia that takes them down fast -- if she's had this for awhile, that's not what she has. :) I would treat, and you'll have to watch her carefully. Sometimes if there is lung damage, they can be prone to recurring cases.

I would have a fecal done and check for lungworms as well. Pneumonia is probably more likely, and lungworms can be hard to diagnose, but just in the off chance ...

Hope she turns around fast for you. :hug:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Agreed, and draxxin works wonders! Before my vet had draxxin he would give dex and banamine for a respiratory infection or pneumonia. Which is easy to catch bc where I'm at it's wet and cold one day and hot and dry the next !

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Nuflor also works well..3 cc per 100# Sub Q one shot daily for 5-7 days...Tylan 200 for OTC choices 1 cc per 25# Sub q every 12 hours..
what ever you choose to use, finish the round completly : )

Best wishes

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave her some tussin this morning. I found this on another post. This afternoon she is normal, but I don't think it will stay that way. Thank you guys once again!

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Tussin is great for congestion, but if she has pneunomia, its only a bandaid fix...keep an eye on her temp...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If your not able to get these meds from a vet.....la200 works.......not as good as the above meds but way better then nothing. So if that's your case and I remember what I did with my working correctly I gave 5cc per 100 lbs on the la200. Imo I would give IM so it hits the system faster. I think I gave asprine for pain and swelling of the lungs......hold off on that tell someone seconds me on that.

·
2,203 Posts
Ya the tussin was just a bandaid. It is like it was before today. Is la200 for cows?
Typically yes. Most "goat" meds are off-label cattle drugs.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The only antibiotic that I am aware of that is labeled for goats is Naxcel. In my experience it doesn't work very well, either. Had 2 goats with pneumonia a couple of years apart, used Naxcel on both - one died, the other showed no improvement until I hit her with Draxxin. According to Tennessee Meat Goats website, Naxcel needs to be used at 3 cc's not 2 cc's as stated on the label.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I gave her some tussin this morning. I found this on another post. This afternoon she is normal, but I don't think it will stay that way. Thank you guys once again!
How long it takes pneumonia to kill depends on the type of pneumonia. Some will kill in 24 hours, most take up to 3-4 days - possibly a week, depending on weather and other things. If she is still eating, but just looks and acts a little off hitting her with Procaine and Benzine Penicillin (long acting Penicillin) will usually knock it out. Increase the recommended dosage by a couple of cc's. For example - if the dosage is 2 cc's/50 lbs, I give 4 SQ. Our former vet told us that with our calves, and I adapted it for my goats. I know that most people say that penicillin won't work, but I've knocked out pneumonia with it in many a goat by checking them daily and catching it early.

·
2,203 Posts
Every herd is different though too. We all may have suggestions to try, but once you find something that works, stick with it. You don't want your bugs getting immune to everything at once. Draxxin is the only thing that works for pneumonia for my herd. Just like Safeguard wormer still works well for us. But our goats came from lineage that were never wormed.

Trial and Error.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts