The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe had a sweet little single doeling in mid-May. I'm in no hurry to start milking, but her udder seems quite small. I'm giving her a little extra grain but not much (not at milking levels). The kid seems content, so perhaps she's just drinking it all.

As I say, I'm in no hurry to start milking, but when I do start, I worry that she won't be up to her usual production (this will be her third lactation). Do you think she'll fill out once I give her more grain and start milking regularly?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I would start milking if I were you. With only 1 kid on her, her milk production has probably gone down. She is only going to produce what that 1 kid needs.

·
1,524 Posts
The only way to get more milk is to push her for more production. I always milk my does who only have singles twice a day. My does with more than 1 kid get milked once a day, every day. A single kid will not drain her udder, so her production dwindles to just what the kid will drink.

If you want her as a milker, milk her twice a day and slowly up her grain a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts