Will she ever kid??

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by KLSpoultry, Dec 15, 2008.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Hello everyone, I'm new here and very new to goats. I got my first two girls on Saturday and were told that one of them was overdue, unless she got her breeding dates wrong. She could not tell me the exact day she was bred, but that she should kid anytime.

Lipstick (thats what I named her) has been acting like she is going to kid since the night we got her. She has amber goo hanging from her vulva, her vulva is very big and slightly open, her breathing is heavy and she seems very uncomfortable. She is eating more today than she has since we got her, but she prefers to sleep in her hay bed.

Here the only picture I have her at the moment, I can take more if you tell me what you need to see. She's not really very tame, but I can try.

Spice is on the left (due in March/April) and Lipstick on right
    [​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some things to check for ---- how big is her udder? is it tight? (dont milk it though to test as that can cause bacteria to build up inside at this point).

Check the pictures of "posty does" to see how their legs change as they get closer to kidding

is the goo a long strand or is it just a smal amount on her vulva?

As to the eating thing, some does will stop eating before kidding while others will munch right upto labor time.

are you able to be with her most of the day or do you have school/work?

Goats tend to like to kid on their own but if she has difficulties you will want to help her out.

here is a good website with information on the stages of labor etc
    http://kinne.net/ob1.htm

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, I do not think i have welcomed you here. :wave: Sounds like you are going to jump in with both feet. They are both very nice looking goats.
    First of all I can not believe someone would let a goat leave their property that close to kidding. It is very stressful on a goat to move to a new place so that on top of being that close to kidding, not smart for the seller at all.
    1. Do you have someone close by for help if needed?
    2. Like Stacey said, is the goo long or stuck to her Vulva? If it is stuck like it could just be her plug that she is loosing.
    3. I would get some baking soda out for her to have free choice. It will help her if she is stressed and gets a little upset tummy.
    4. Do you have all the kidding supplies ready?
    5. Are you going to be able to separate the two does when she kids? I know not all people have a problem but some does are very rough mean to their babies and moms.
    6. How many time if any have they kidded?

4. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    thanks ladies. i agree on the previous owners, i dont think they were doing the best they could for their animals, just breeding to sell and make money. heck, she doesnt even know for sure when this girl is due!! both the girls also have rough coats, so i dont think she was feeding them the best either.

here are some pictures i just took of her:
    [​IMG]
    is this posty??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a final tomorrow and friday @ 10am, but other than that i'm home all the time.
    to answer your questions:

1. I have a large animal vet and small animal vet, but i dont know anyone with goats
    2. it looks long and has shavings/hay stuck to it
    3. i do have some free choice baking soda out, but neither one of them has touched it
    4. what kidding supplies do i need??
    5. i can seperate them if needed, but i don't think the girls will appreciate it.
    6. the lady told me that both of the girls had twins last year

ETA: i forgot to add that i felt her udder, it feels warm and full, but not tight and her nipples look more erect than Spice's nipples(my other doe who is due in april)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she could be as close as today or as late as 3 days from now....but she is close.

kidding supply list
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=354

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    can you try to get a picture of her bag? It will get (usually) real big a tight and they do sometimes kind of shine.
    Kidding supplies. I do believe there is a thread already on here. Look through them and print that out. It would be a lot easier for you.
    I would make sure that you do have Nutra drench for her and the baby for them after they kid. It is good for the baby and it will get them the vits and minerals right away that they need, and it gets to their blood stream right away. The Molasses water. What I do is after she has done her wonderful job (mom), i give her as much molasses water as she would like. i do it for days if that is what she wants. I make it a good dark tea color and warm water. Is she getting any grain? Did she get a CDT shot? Babies will need them at two weeks for sure.
    make sure you have all your fingernails cut short in case you have to go in and help her deliver the babies. I always have OB gloves on hand so I am ready along wit ha good lube like KY Lube. Make sure if you have to go in that you do not have any rings on either. That is one thing a lot of people forget about because it is a do it now type thing and are not thinking about it. Have LOTS of towels out and ready so you can help dry them off if needed. Let her do as much as possible but sometime they need a little help and get those poor little ears. Try really hard NOT to inter fear with the delivery if at all possible but be ready if need be.
    I would say she looks pretty close wit hthat long goo. That is pretty long and that is usually but not always a sign that it is VERY close. Do you have a baby monnitor that you can have out in the barn so you can listen to her?
    She will start to nest. She will paw at the ground lay down get up, lay down and so on. Sometimes you will even see her streach and that is all good signs.

If you would like a phone number of someone to call if you need anything. Let me know and i will give you mine. Beings they are not First timers hopefully they will be just fine, but it is always nice to have help if you need it.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    First of all...Welcome....don't think I said hello yet?!! :wave: Your goaties are adorable!!

I would say your girl there is due as soon as today or tomorrow, but I don't think it would be longer than 3 or 4 days. I'm betting on today though. Watch for pawing, laying down, sometimes they'll be really loud or really quiet and standoffish, won't want to eat, mushy rear end, etc. It's a little harder for you since you just got them, you probably won't be able to tell personality changes.

Anywho, I bet she'll do great! Keep us posted!!

8. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i dont think i can get a shot of her udder. shes so deep and wide that its hard even for me to see.

i do have a video baby monitor that i have set up. i've been watching her throughout the day and night, she does get up and down often, stretch, lick at her bum. just waiting to see her actually start to have her kids!!

she is getting dumor goat feed, but she isn't really interested in eating much. i have no idea if she's been vaccinated. i didn't ask. :oops: i will be sure and head to tsc today to get all my supplies!

i would love a phone number to call! i've foaled horses out before, but never kidded goats.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you would like you can call me here at work. My work number is 208-769-7821 I will be out from 11:15 - 1
    1:30 today but will be on my cell - 509.499.5828

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Not a problem. My cell is 719-440-1623. Please feel free to call.

Good Luck. Sounds like babies are coming soon. :leap: :leap: :baby: :baby:

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, I'm going to sound like a broken record...but...go immediately to http://www.fiascofarm.com and look at the kidding videos. I think there is a video on this forum also. Have you checked her "ligs"? Someone else will explain this better then I...but she will have two ligaments on either side of her tail (check your other doe so you know what you are looking for), it's like two tight pencil like ligaments, when they "go spongy", she's very close, when you can't feel them anymore her whole back end will feel mushy. She looks very close to me, I'd worry about leaving her. Good luck! Hope everything goes well! Think pink! :girl: :girl:

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    See there? Told ya they were super helpful here! I really enjoyed chatting with you the other night and I'm glad you decided to come over here, welcome!

I am hoping everything goes okay and from talking to you the other night I know you're doing everything possible to ensure a safe and healthy kidding.

Can't wait to see those kiddos.

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Any bubs yet?

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    KLSpoultry...welcome ... :wave: ....so glad you joined.....your doe does look close....can't wait to see those...babies.... :)

15. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    :hair: nothing yet!! she is getting increasingly more interested in me, i dont know if its a sign she's getting close or just her getting used to me and my place.

she also does this funny thing where she bleats then sticks her tougne out. i'm hoping she kids tonight because i have a final at school (1 hour away) @ 10am.

went to tsc and got iodine, goat nutri-drench, CDT vaccine and more shavings for their pen. i have towels at the ready, nails trimmed and i'm hopefully ready for her to kid!!

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I know the feeling my goat is in the process and is taking her time! Hopefully she goes for you. I have finals this week too but it looks like I'll have time to study...schools expected to be out for 2 more days.It's called bleating.Sounds like your ready.

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like there's gonna be kids soon...the sound she is making as well as her tongue being out...she's doing the "mommy talk".....and her being affectionate to you is also a sign that delivery is imminent...when she "bleats" does she try and "wash" your hand? All of my does do this before they get down to business.

18. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    she doesn't wash me, but she does try to wash Spice. who, by the way, is not fond of being cleaned. :greengrin:

here's to hoping she goes soon and has a normal birth and healthy kids!! :pray:

19. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    :shrug: NADA!!

she seemed so close. she made a nest, seemed to be having contractions, kept bleating, sticking her tougne out and trying to clean Spice. i was waking up every 1.5 hours to watch her on the baby monitor.

now i'm worried she'll go while i'm going to school to take a final. :hair: hopefully with all this snow we're getting, they'll move my final

allright goat experts, why's my girl doing this to me? :help:

20. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    because she's a goat... and goats are evil! They'll do all they can to kid when you dont want them to :angry:

I hope it works out with your final though *hugs* Usually they can have the kids born, cleaned and nursing and you'll never even know