will she have horns?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by lacy_94, Oct 31, 2007.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    my little 3 week old boer doe has little bud looking things on her head but havent come though the skin. at 3 weeks should i be seeing horns?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she could be a late bloomer in the horns department but if you don't see anything in the next week or so breaking through the skin then you have a polled goat.

3. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    thanks i hope shes polled like my wether cause i dont like the horns like my female pygmy/cross.

4. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    females horns usually grow a lot slower than the males in my experience. We though one of our doelings were pollled but it actually just took her a long time to grow them.

5. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    Can you post a pic of her head? does her hair swirl around where the horns usually grow?

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    if you don't want horns, you really should disbud her.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes sarah but if she is polled then having her disbudded would be a waste of time and other things.

beings that she is a boer doe and you don't see horn growth yet it makes me lean toward polled then horned.

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Is there polled in her breeding? I have polled goats and unless 1 parent is polled she will grow horns... I do breed my polled buck to my horned does. I have gotten 2 polled and 1 horned set of triplets and it does take a while for the horns of a doe to erupt...she might be polled but I personally havent heard of polled boers. Is she a full boer or a % boer. That should tell you also. just a little info..

9. needs to know more

needs to know more New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Washington
    I have polled goats. Mine are % boers. You can tell by the hair around the horn area. That is why I asked about swirls! Last year was my first time guessing and I was wrong on a couple. But this year I was right, and called them as they where born!! Live and learn. I just never payed attention to how long it took for the horns to pop out. Will try to do that next year. just so I know!!! I now have 3 polled does.

10. sunshineandtulip

sunshineandtulip New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have one polled girl and each time at least one baby is polled. If it is polled the hair is usually flat to the head and horned it will grow in 2 little swirls were the horns will be.

11. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    sorry yall i have been really busy this week. finally her horns are comin out and are almost half an inch since .She is blind and has joint ill .I think it would be best not to dehorn her,cause i dont want to put her through any more pain.

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    O my...so sorry to hear she's not well, please let us know how she does.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh dear lacy that is stressful.

How is she holding up?

14. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    zoey passed away last night to bloat....

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aw, I am so sorry to hear that she didn't make it, hugs to you dear.

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    As I said on your other thread, I am soo sorry!