The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found an American Beauty / American Electrical Company No. 3158 200 watt iron. It looks like it was meant for industrial soldering, heats up to 1000 degrees.... 5/8 tip... is there a difference between something like this and a disbudding iron? It seems like if i cut the tip flat, i should have a disbudding idon rather than a soldering iron, no? :cool:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Disbudding irons don't have a flat tip, they are a bit concave. Honestly, I think its better to use a disbudding iron for such procedures. WHat if the soldering iron gets too hot and fries their brains? I don't know what a disbudding iron heats up to. Just seems like something that you don't want to cut corners on, for the goats sake.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree, I would rather use a disbudding iron for disbudding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the specs for any of the most recommended disbudding irons, this one reaches the same temps and is the same wattage. Shaping the element to be concaved and reach 1/4 diameter should be pretty easy. I think the key is to make sure what is being used is safe and effective.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I would just use the iron personally..

·
2,962 Posts
I am probably going to get blasted for saying this but years ago (over 20) , I used a similar soildering iron with a flat tip to disbud all my goat kids. We didn't have anything wlse and filed the tip flat. Not once did I have so much as a tiny scur even on the bucklings....... now with that being said, I now have a regular disbudding iron and for the past two years have not been able to get a nice clean burn, I know it is partly due to timing but I still can't figure out why there is such a concave hole on the disbudding iron. I actually looked for something like that before I bought my regular iron.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That's interesting, Peggy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm. Thanks for the info. Anybody know why they have the concave tips? Is it so the iron can go over the hornbud and cotterize the surrounding area? It sounds like the main thing is knowing how hot the iron gets and the amount of time that is safe. The risk seems the same if you're using an iron... excessive heat to the skull - whether from an iron that is too hot or too long of a duration - can cause brain damage to kids.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts