Will you guys critique these Does for me please?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I've decided to get milk goats sooner than later. I'm quite sure it's all your fault for making me look at the pictures of your milk goats and forcing me to listen to you all talk about them! :)

Here are two 2 yr. old 1st time fresheners that we looked at tonight. I'm sorry the pictures aren't the greatest, hopefully they are good enough to get some comments by you all. They are both producing a gallon a day and were wonderful to milk. They've both been shown and gotten 1st and 2nd places in at least one show.

Goat #1 Christina

Sire: PEARL VALLEY YL BARTOK (AM Buck)
    Dam: PEARL VALLEY OBSESSION BIRDIE (AM Doe SGCH)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goat #2 Carnation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sire: PEARL VALLEY YL BARTOK (AM Buck)
    Dam: CRACKER-JACK-RANCH CARMIN B-S (ER Doe)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oo obheraslis!! :love:

I am not good at critiquing but what are their ages and how long have they been in milk? THeir udders do not look full in those pictures so was that after milking?

what are they asking for them?

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

nope not obers, they are alpines. Johnathan Bland has bred some fantastic animals. if you are looking for show quality thats definatly a good way to go. I would get them if they have been tested for CAE and CL and all have come back clean.
    beth

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not obers :cry: lol

I knew something wasnt quite right with the face but I couldnt think of another breed that came in that color. I had no idea that Alpines do. hmm interesting

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Yes - they are Alpines. I am not going to show them, we just want them for their milk supply but I liked that they've done well in the show ring.

Christine has been in milk for just two months - her very first time freshened.
    Carnation has been in milk for four months - her very first time freshened also.

There are kids who have occasionally gotten through the fence to nurse so that was a strong possibility also.

The picture was taken about eight hours after milking. I have seen their mother and grandmother (she is almost 7 yrs. old and is giving 1 1/2 gln. a day with a great udder still) who have fantastic udders and we believe their udders will be even better next year.

She is asking $200 for them, each. Around here, from what I've learned that seems to be a fair price for the quality of Doe and quantity of milk being given. The "cheapest" Does we've seen have been $175 and not in good shape, nor did they have real good udders, plus they were years older.

They are current on shots, clear on CAE (what's CL?) and mastitus testing has been regular with no negative results in anything.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would get them, if you decided one day that you wanted to show you have good foundation stock. The second doe looks to be a little les quality in the mammery system but she is nice and there isnt much milk in htere. She has good solid attachments and she will do well.
    Cl is a nasty disease, its an infection of the lymph nodes that cause abcess'. It can lay dorment in the ground as well as cause internal abcess' I have never heard of it causeing death but im sure if there were enough abcess' on the lungs or brain it could. Its highly contagious once the abcess bursts and can even cause leasions on people if they get the pus on their skin. CAE is bad, and i test yearly for both, but i would much rather deal with CAE then CL if i had the choice.
    beth

7. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    They both sound like a good deal to me, but if you're trying to choose between the two I'd personally pick Christina. I love the name, she's a beautiful doe, and I'd like the fact that she kidded more recently. Are you thinking of getting both of them, or getting one dairy goat and a less expensive friend, a wether, or a younger doe? That's what we decided to do. Our goats are Isabelle, who kidded three weeks ago, and is currently milking about 10 cups a day, and her "little sister" (same father, and their mothers are related as well) Phillisa. By next summer when we're hopefully milking both of them, we'd like to learn to make yogurt and cheese from goats milk. Let us know what you decide to do. I hope you love having goats as much as we do! - Stephanie

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Well-these two sweet girls are officially both mine! The owner is going to hold onto them until I get our new fence area up with the shed. We have the fencing and shed, we just have to get it all set up.

I'm getting really excited about milking and having fresh goats milk every day. My four year olds keep asking for goats milk to drink (they had some from these goats from the day I went to look at them), even my husband liked it!

We are going to be milking both of them.

Yippee! I own full size milk goats!!

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congratulations :thumb:

I actually was craving milk again today and I am so happy to be able to drink it! Yah for goats milk!

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I don't know how I missed this thread :oops: So, I'm a week behind! When I read the first post I
    thought "Well, don't think we are going to apologize for getting you "hooked" on goats!" It's what
    people with addictions do (actually I prefer "obsession" for some reason it sounds better). We can't
    be held responsible for it...it's beyond our control! :help:

So, back to the specific goats. They look great! I love the color, one of my Cashmere goats is
    Chamoisee. And the black is very slimming! They look like they are calm on the milkstand, are they
    friendly off it? And you tried the milk and it was good? I know nothing about Alpines, just that they
    come in various colors...is the farm were you bought them close? So, you can use one of their bucks
    when the time comes?

I'm really happy for you, how long before you are able to get the fencing up? How big an area are
    you fencing? OK, I'll be quiet now. Good luck! :leap: