Winter Care

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rancher, Oct 1, 2009.

1. rancher

rancher New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Idaho
    Its winter here in SE Idaho had about 2 inches of snow yesterday and freezing temperatures 24 tonight. First year to have our doe and kid in the winter. We have an enclosed shed attached to a fenced area that they stay in during the night. Any suggestions on keeping Lulu and Julie warm and happy through our winter which will last through May. Thanks for all the help you have given in the past.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what? it snowed there already. wow. you guys are ahead of Alaska! We've had ice and all that but not snowfall yet. Well, ahead of SC Alaska.

winter care:

keep them warm, try to be there during kidding and help warm up the kids, if possible move the doe to heated area, at least 10F above zero. keep hay in front of the does, and during cold spells give grain. other than that, just keep them draft free and warm. :)

3. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Sorry, can't help. We don't have much winter here let alone snow. We will still be running AC for awile yet, but lawn care is about over thankfully. An acre lawn here and several more acres at church kills summer Fridays.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    make sure they can get out of any direct wind and any sleet. Other then that goats are real resilant and can handle cold temps pretty good.

Make sure you have good bedding too -- and plenty of hay in their bellies. They keep warm one major way by digesting so keeping them eating and digesting is important.

Mine always get more hay in the winter

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others... :thumb: ..

I also.. use a heat lamp.....when they kid out... for the 1st 3 days/nights of being born when it is cold......unless the kids ...are weak.... I leave it going ...until they are strong and can handle it..... :wink: :greengrin:

6. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I make sure the babies are nursing and have sturdy, draft free shelter and plenty of hay. We actually lose fewer in the winter than summer. Had two die in a brutal winter cold snap last year, that was bad enough to kill one of our chickens too. But that was a fluke year. Normally winters are pretty mild here in western TN.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Like everyone said, draft free dry shelter they can come and go as they please. Keeping hay in the manger at all times so they can snack rather then eating two big meals a day.
    I too have lost less babies in cold months then warm. Its because they parisites arent as bad. I take all of my kids at birth and bottle raise them. They kid in warm kidding stalls, and then the kids some inside for the first twenty four hours so i can monitor them, make sure they are eating going to the bathroom and holding their body temperature.
    beth