The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first two goats just last spring, male dwarf kids. Its getting very cold now, dropping down to 19F and it will only get colder as winter sets in. I heard goats are very hardy, and mine have grown nice thick coats, but I swear one of them was shivering. Do you think I should get coats for them? I want to avoid that extra cost if I can, but if its better for them I'll get it.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I heard goats are very hardy, and mine have grown nice thick coats, but I swear one of them was shivering. Do you think I should get coats for them? I want to avoid that extra cost if I can, but if its better for them I'll get it.
If your weather is anything like ours, winter hit a bit early this year. Shivering is natures way of keeping them warm, and they will respond by growing heavier coats. Unless they are sick or underweight I would not put coats on them. Coats will interfere with them growing an adequate winter coat and, if they get torn up or destroyed, your goats will be in for a hard time. If you are still cleaning out their shelter, stop. The hay and manure will create a manure pack that gives off heat as it decomposes. Lay in a good, thick layer of bedding and they will be ok. If ammonia becomes a problem, sprinkle barn lime or Sweet PDZ and rebed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.