The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a poly dome calf hut for my two Nigerian dwarf goats. Looking for ideas to winterize (live in Minnesota) large access opening so snow doesn’t get inside and hut stays warm during the day. Goats come in barn at night. Friend suggested a couple blanket pieces attached at top. Or should I try plastic strips like they use for dog houses? Any ideas would be appreciated… thanks!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Facing the opening away from the direction of the wind to stop snow drifts and cold air from blowing in helps also. Putting down mats or some type of sub floor (some huts don't have bottoms) to cover the bare ground and a thick layer of bedding would also aid in adding warmth.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have thought of using a plastic flap. But you would probabaly have to teach the goats to go in and out through it.
If the doorway is the only ventilation, you don't want to block it up completely, or it will get very smelly in the shelter. If possible, it might be best to face the door away from the prevailing winds and just leave it open. If you face windows and doors east, then the animals get the benefit of sunshine warming their shelter on the sunny days.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said. Hope you find a great solution!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts