The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been feeding an all stock feed to my flerd (flock-herd of 3 sheep and 4 goats) for about 3months now. About 1/4-1/2lb feed each depending on their weight (30lbs-130lbs). Anyhow, I keeping hearing this grain isn't necessary during the winter. Now, the sheep are not bred, and I think 1 of the does is pregnant, while the rest are open (they are all running with a tiny yearling buck with 5'' inch legs, and they seem to keep coming back into heat, so I'm not sure he's having much luck, and that's fine with me).

Anyhow, should I cut out the grain for the winter, except perhaps to the one doe that may be pregnant? They would only be getting Brome hay & loose minerals if I did that. Would they keep their weight on? I started grain because the pasture was bad & a couple goats needed to gain some weight.

I hope it's clear!

Thank you,

F

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
I'm not sure why the no grain during the winter. I know feeding a good amount of hay during the cold is good but I don't see the reason to cut grain out totally. If everyone is in good shape you could cut the grain out. Just watch the prego that she doesn't get too much grain and have large kids.

· Registered
183 Posts
The question is how much is too much for a pregnant doe….. I have my first doe kidding in 3 weeks and 2 days and I am scared to death that I am either feeding too much grain or not enough grain lol…. i read horror stories on here about kidding and I am just waiting for disaster to strike.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
I cut the grain out for my wether sheep and goats in the spring/summer, winter is when they can use it. I still give them very little grain at night during spring/summer as not to mess with ruminan (?) function... when I give it again full time in the fall/winter months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.