Winter is coming..........

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by enjoytheride, Oct 9, 2007.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    In fact, it's coming tomorrow.
    The storms here come in from thePacific- since there is only 7 miles between me and the sea, and we are on the first foothills inland, a lot of the moisture in a storm gets dumped right here. A few miles south there's a place that averages about 200 inches each winter.
    We're expecting 50 mile/hour winds with 2-3 inches of rain in the early morning hours.
    I'm as prepared as I can be for winter becasue once it starts, it usually rains most days til May next year. I can't get hay in the shed as it's too wet to get down there so I timed getting it in my winter's supply.
    But it's a long time til summer...............

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    oooo what fun. not. sounds like Ireland!!!

My goats usually end up having to be indoors all winter - I'm doing my best to get them out at least twice a week. Even if the weather's looking iffy I'll get 'em out for an hour and then rush to put them inside when the downpour breaks.

It would be useful to have a shelter in the field :roll:

3. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    i didn't realize just how wet you get in n. ca in the winter. wow...and good luck. i did just hear that el ninio or whomever is to be such that you will have an extra wet winter and the rest of the country will be warmer and dryer (we don't need this part!!!) than usual. maybe 'they' are right???

lesserweevil....have you seen the field hut made from a pig panel ?? it's a quanset hut, the panel is curved and held in place by tposts, and the top covered by a tarp. it's on several sites, but i don't know where off hand. it seems an easy and not costly way to make a shelter. i am planning to try it myself in the new pasture. maybe an idea for you...

4. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welll...... we are still in the 80's-90's here and in DESPERATE need of some rain!! To be honest I don't know that I can remember our pond ever being down this low :(

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    leeserwevil- maybe Irish goats are made of tougher stuff but my little softies head themselve to the barn at the first drop of wet.

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Enjoytheride

Did you get any snow last week. Have a friend up by Loyalton who got some snow. I'm not sure how close you are. Shelly

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I get some snow here but not yet- I don't know where Loyalton is so I don't think it's in our county. Since it got snow already, I would think it is inland some.

8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Lol I should have paid more attention to where in northern ca you are. Loyalton is close to the Nevada border. Shelly