WINTER IS HERE IN PA~~!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jduwall, Oct 14, 2009.

1. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Well, they are predicting snow showers this weekend in PA...I can't believe it...I don't even have the entire garden done yet. canning is done but still have pumpkins, sunflowers, etc..

anyway, I have electric in the barn this year~~!!! yeah~~!! what is the best way to keep the water from freezing? the no freeze buckets? does anyone have something for the chickens??

Love the snow but not yet~!!!
    :hair: :hair:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...don't like snow, especially driving in it at 5 am!

I am really thinking of heated buckets for my goats, BUT I never have had totally frozen water buckets since I started my little herd 9 years ago. I have always just taken buckets of hot water to their buckets inside the barn 3 times a day...before work at 4 30 am, after work at 2 30 and again before bed around 9 30. I have found too that if their buckets are kept on the inner walls of their sheds and are not resting against the outside walls, they don't freeze....just get slushy.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, it seems winter is upon us early this year :cry: ! For my chickens, I use a heated dog bowl......it has worked well for the past 3 winters. I tried the heated buckets for the goats, but they want their water really hot......so like Liz, I carry really hot water out to them 3x's a day and they love it! They drank almost a whole bucket of hot water this afternoon.....a 3 gallon bucket, I only have 4 goats! They all took turns as I watched them drink and drink and drink! Once their water cools off (once weather turns cold) they will not touch it! VERY SPOILED GOATS! DH says I have created monsters!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    HA HA HA!!! 50F in ALASKA. :clap:

sunny, warm, and no snow. love it :thumb: this has been a great year...it got up to 80F, better than 2008 where it got up to 60F and down to -50F. :sun:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would say you are getting what left here. It was SO cold last weekend. My DH and I were out in the garden with snow gloves and the big coveralls pulling all we could to save. Lat weekend we were in the teens and 20's this weekend, in the 70's. YEP it will be nice.

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Yep - we had a layer of ice on the water buckets this morning :sigh:

I use heaters in my buckets- they freeze solid pretty fast here in the dead of winter- the goats cant keep the water open like the horses can.
    Be warned- it costs a fortune to run heaters in your water troughs- we have two low 25 gallon rubbermaid troughs and run heaters in those, and we also use 5 gallon heated water buckets for the bucks- our electric bill for the barn is easily doubled in the winter!

I know they make these for chickens to set your water on: http://www.strombergschickens.com/produ ... eaters.php

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It was snowing a little here this morning--nothing sticking yet though. I am looking forward to winter...being a ski instructor and all! :greengrin:

I have to haul buckets all year around anyway since I don't have running water near the goat shed but I figured out something to help so I could get the water to the goats without spilling half of it on the way (like 150 yds!). I bought one of those golf-caddy things with wheels (I see them at yard sales all the time) and I just slip handle through the wire bucket handle so the bucket hangs down and I can just roll it down to the goats. Sure beats struggling with buckets and having water sloshing all over my legs. I'll take a picture of it later!

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Angela.....how smart you are :thumb: ! Great idea......I too have no running water out at barn, plus I like getting water from house since it goes through the softner.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Tank heaters are great, just make sure you feed the chord through a pvc pipe, goats like to chew on them.
    As for the chicken thing, if you only have a few this works great (they are kind of pricey though)
    http://www.plantfactorygardencenter.com ... 007-338611
    We have already sold five at the store i work at and winter hasnt even started here.
    beth

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
  11. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Once the snow arrives I pack it around the outside buckets and it does stay quite warm for a long time. The igloo effect.