The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a Pygmy goat who is due in the next month or so... Not sure when she was exactly bred just that it was end of July/ august.

Right now we have been having super cold days -30 to - 40 Celsius. The animals haven't been leaving the barn an we have been shutting the door at night.

My question is I want to turn one of our pens into a nice warm birthing pen to make sure the kid(s) have the best chance in surviving the winter, how can I go about doing that? How much space do they need? Best materials for this?

I brought Betty Jo into my vets and they did confirm she is pregnant they couldn't tell how many because of all her hair and we didn't want to shave her.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I agree - a 4'x4' should be adequate for a pygmy doe kidding jug. Use wood pallets or welded wire livestock panels for quick construction. Be sure to include a little hay rack, her normal loose minerals & baking soda, and be sure to hang the water bucket up a little so the kids can't fall in the first few days. Put a think bed of fresh straw or shavings and put solid sides or a tarp anywhere there is a draft. In those temps you may need a heat lamp for the kids - but you need to block it so the doe can't get under there and lay on them. Once her udder is very tight and her back end looks loose or she is having discharge I would be checking VERY frequently and helping her get those kids dried off and nursing FAST for their best change of survival.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
...or shavings...
You never, ever want to put down shavings down for a doe to kid on - not even under straw or old hay! They will stick to the wet kid, can cause suffocation, and are a nightmare for the mother to clean up. If put down under straw or old hay, the doe will turn them up while pawing during delivery and the same hazards apply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts