Winter kidding

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NDinKY, Sep 8, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    This year we’re planning for most of our kids to be born mid February to March. We’ve not kidded this early before so I’m trying to figure out what to have on hand aside from the usual kidding stuff.

What is the safest heat lamp? Are the barrel heater set ups safe and effective? We’re located in Northern Kentucky. The weather has been all over the place the last few years. Just want to make sure we’re prepared.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I actually just use the old style 100 watt bulb for my warming barrels. I also use pet warming pads that heat by using the animal's heat. But even just straw in the barrel is fine. Depending on weather will depend on how warm you really need it.

3. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I use the premier 1 heat lamps.

MadHouse, NDinKY, Iluvlilly! and 3 others like this.
  4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We use the warming barrels and they have worked GREAT. We use a regular heat lamp with a 120 watt bulb. We only use the light if absolutely necessary - if temps are below freezing temps, feel babies need them and/or just born to help get them dry. Otherwise we use sweaters, again if they need them. We kid Jan-Mar. We had some May kids this summer and absolutely won't do that again, I don't like late spring/summer kids. I feel our kids grow best if born in the winter. We possibly have 5 does bred for end of Dec/New Years.

5. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Same!! I love my early babies and then I'm not bottle feeding or worrying about dam-raising by the time shows start. It is super cold here is Jan-Mar., but I really like early kids. I'm just paranoid about checking them throughout the night when they get close because I really don't want to walk into frozen kids.

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I use premier heat lamps. I hang them in my birthing barn. So they are about 5 ft high..on a safety chain. I have 5 transport pods in a line. I put paper feed bags on top of 2 inches of straw. The mothers heat, and warmed up barn keep them doing well. On the days & nights we are 10° or less I put sweaters on the little ones. So far..all have survived. I agree..no spring/ summer kids..tooo hot & too many parasites & predators.

MadHouse, NDinKY and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll have to check Premier 1 and get some of the barrels. I think I’m also going to get a video monitoring system to keep a better eye on the does.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I don't know how well the Premier 1 lights would work in a heating barrel, I've honestly never seen one attached, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has used them that way. We hang our regular heat lamps inside the top of the barrel, but I've seen some people cut out a big hole in the top of the barrel and mount it right on top.
    One thing I learned with the barrels - drill tiny holes in the bottom so if babies pee in there it will drain out. Most of our babies love to sleep in their barrel, I try to teach them to sleep in them as I feel they are safer in there, especially from tired mom's who might accidentally lay on them or step on them since our babies either sleep in the barrel or under mom's hay feeder (ugh).

We're getting a carport and making a barn out of it, and I worry what it will be like this winter. I do plan on insulating the roof and the lower 4' walls on the sides (metal). We will possibly do wood on the front/back. Our small, old wooden barn is decent in the winter, the problem is wind and the front doors (faces south), there are gaps between door/frame and that can make it worrisome. So if you are able to make sure you have ventilation, but no drafts that will help a lot. I ended up hanging old blankets over the front of the first stall if it was windy.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll have my husband trial several things with the barrels. I just want to be really careful about fire hazards. How long do you guys use the barrels? Just the first week or two?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I use my barrel until they can't fit in it anymore. Mine love to sleep in it.

12. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I live in Maine and used to kid them out in January and February when the temps were well below 0 sometimes. I never used a heat lamp or anything but a well bedded stall. I dry the kids with a towel and let mom do the rest. Never had a problem.