winter pen question for Stacey or whom ever?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Dec 21, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey, I remember seeing a post from you, where you stated that you let the straw and berries piled up in the winter.....to keep goats warmer......how long do you let the pen go before cleaning it out? I do go out everyday and rake the straw so that the berries fall to the bottom and every so often I throw some fresh straw down and also rake in the wasted hay. My pen does not stink and is dry.....I have dirt floors and I sprinkle lime and DE every now and then. I even sit on the floor with them to play and I do not get anything on my coveralls.....so I should be good for now? The weather here is horrible so they are not getting out as much.....we had a horrible ice storm Friday, so I am afraid to let them out.....don't want any slipping and sliding and broken bones!
    Take care all and MERRY CHRISTMAS! :snow:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yes that is what a lot of people do. The reason for it is they have a good layer on the ground and the cold can not sneak to them as they are laying down. It sounds like you are doing a perfect job. :clap: The whole thing is try to keep them dry so all I do is take the wet spots out if I can or I do what you are doing, put more straw on top. At first I thought everyone was just very lazy not cleaning out there stalls for the goats :oops: , but I now see they were the smart ones. I just make sure that there is not a ammonia smell, because that will get a goat sicker faster then anything.
    I do believe most people just take it out in the spring.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just switched from straw to wood chips. I was talking to people in my area and they were saying they all switched in the last few years, because the straw does not absorb like the wood chips will and the wood chips dry out and you can "turn" them. So I cleaned the boys' pen and the girls' covered area to try it out - and I will tell ya - it sure smells good out there!!!

I remember last year trying to take out all the nasty straw - it took us 6 hours with 3 of us and it was HEAVY - I am hoping this will be better.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I leave it in there from November till it warms up .....usualy in like April I clean it out and it takes me hours to do. And my mom loves it for her garden :greengrin:

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We let it kind of pile up. . . . but I can't stand letting it get too bad. So, usually every couple days or once a week I will take a shovel and push it under a wet spot, take that out and if there is a little bit of dry bedding on top, shake that off kind of and then put the nasty bedding in bins. We then sell the bins to people for their gardens.