winter question???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Oct 1, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Is there anything that should be done to prepare them for winter other than cleaning barn good and putting new bedding down.......like nuritional wise? I read where probiotics are good for weather change......how long do you give them these, a week, 2 weeks, all winter???? What about vitiman D....and what form? Also what about heaters or heat lamps....our coldest days can be in the low teens or even single digit! This will be my first winter with my goats.
    Thanks, Denise from Northern Indiana

2. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Wow you have really warm weather in winter. :wink: I am in Wisconsin. Sub zero temps are not unusual. Just make sure they have plenty of hay.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Denise, I think that really all you need to do is make sure they are in a draft free place and something cozy to bed down in like straw, shavings, wasted hay or whatever you choose.. The wind is what is so bad for them mainly id they kid. As for heat lamps, I ONLY use them for a day of two on new born and ONLY if it is really cold. The more you give them "false" warmth the more likely they will get sick because they can not maintain their own body heat, PLUS the idea of barn fires just scare the he** out of me. I do have a heat lamp in the ceiling light but it is so high like 10 feet, all it really does is make ME feel better.

As for Probiotics, they are good just to have on hand, along with Nutra Drench and other medical supplies, just in case they start to act off.

Also, Make sure they have lots of hay to have at anytime. When the Rumen is active that is what keeps the goats warmer. Also make she they have water, and if it gets real cold they really like warm water

I have lived in Indiana before. I remember it getting a lot colder then that there. Either way they will be fine if you do the above.