Winter seriously this is why I live in the Mid South

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Wcd, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Sure is a great time of the year to be in Sioux Falls. Half way through two weeks here for work. Why is it the need to be here never arises in Spring or Summer? I mean what’s not to love about South Dakota? Thought I was going to have some Southern food for supper, then I remembered Barbecue here is the equivalent of manwiches, Ground beef tomato sauce on a bun. Not really sure how that can even remotely be considered Barbecue?

And do not forget Walking tacos, a bag of Fritos with hamburger, tomato, and cheese on them. Again nothing even remotely resembling a taco!

Amazing how a brief assignment can reinforce a decision to move out of here lol.

Clearly South Dakota can not be alone in peculiar food, I wonder what other states have that would make an outsider ask why?

Iluvlilly! and GoofyGoat like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I bet everywhere has something odd for people who don't live there. People outside Ohio seem to think perogies are weird.

3. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Seriously? In our family what was once considered a meal for the poor, has become a Holiday tradition, we have them every Christmas Eve. Well worth the hours of preparation.

And you are right in Tennessee people are like Perogie Ah what’s that?

ksalvagno likes this.
  4. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Lol so true! My dad and brother went to pick up a truck from Michigan a few years back. They asked for sweet tea in a restaurant. The waiter got so confused and had to ask the manager for help.
    I have a friend that just moved here from Michigan and she had no clue what a corn dog is. After we explained what is was she wouldn’t touch it because “it’s a stick of meat that’s deep fried! Eew!” Lol!

5. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people in the south love peaches and cream sweet corn so much. Growing up in the north east silver queen and king were the best! And they still are! It's like you can get freshly picked corn on the cob here in the south, but it's all stinkin' bicolor. Peaches and cream corn is like field corn compared to silver queen and king! It doesn't make any sense. If I had the land I bet we could grow the best corn anybody had every tasted around here because everyone plants the wrong variety!

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm in KY and believe it or not KY Fried Chicken isn't all that popular lol
    However, a traditional favorite is Burgoo and Bread pudding.
    Now, I've only had the toned down version of Burgoo (beef & veggie soup), but the old style versions have like 3-5 types of meat in them!
    The kind served at the horse track is AMAZING. OMG love it!
    http://www.bettyskitchen.us/pdf/soup/KeenelandKentuckyBurgooSoupRecipe.pdf

Bread pudding is equally wonderful, especially with a yummy Bourbon sauce on top.
    Before Covid 19, for the spring and fall race meets at the track, they served us in the media center lunch, alternating soups one day, and BBQ pork the next with yummy sandwich wraps randomly in the mix. But on Saturdays... they brought in bread pudding for dessert.
    I haven't had either this year and am now craving them lol. I am seriously making the recipe I posted above.

So no complaints about KY! I'm from IN and I really can't recall the traditional stuff there lol

7. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I'm from all over so nothing is all that new to me. I know my mother used to make French toast and cut them into sticks anyone who saw it asked why she did it. I don't know if its that weird because I grow up with it but people sure do think so.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    When we first moved to Texas..Mexican food was a huge disappointment. Everything has cheese sauce or chili sauce dumped on it! Awe that is not Mexican food. That is what they call TexMex.. nearly 16 years here and I will never get used to that! I have to remember to order things dry! And the waitress would be like, no cheese or chili sauce?" So confused lol no thank you , its gross.

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Oh yeah. tex mex really isnt all that good. We have an AMAZING family owned mexican restruant in town, REAL mexican food. OMGGG it is sooo good!

10. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Perogies are delicious and amen to lousy Mexican food in Texas! Tex-Mex is HORRIBLE! The best corn on the cob I've ever had was in NJ it was a white corn to die for...
    I've lived all over the country and every area has its quirks or specialty that's wonderful. I've learned if you find something you love get the recipe and take it with you so you can enjoy it no matter where you are.

11. MellonFriend

Well that is true. I've lived quite a few places and I can think of great food everywhere we went. (Except for Indiana... can't think of anything good there.)

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have heard of deep fried twinkies in Brooklyn. Have never tried them.
    Can't even imagine eating that unhealthy thing.
    :imok:

Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.
  13. MellonFriend

Deep fried pickles is probably the weirdest deep fried thing I've eaten. Deep fried oreos are big at fairs here, but I've never had one.

Iluvlilly! and toth boer goats like this.
  14. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Deep fried pickles are awesome! Deep fried Oreos sound like the best thing ever!

15. MellonFriend

Do you have Sonic restaurants where you are? I had them there. They were pretty good.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Yeah we have a bunch of Sonics. We get our fried pickles from Chicken express though.

18. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Yup kind of like asking for Non sweet tea here, lol. Seems like options are usually Sweet tea, super sweet and Southernstyle(basically a tea bag in a 5 pound bag eod sugar)

I don’t even order tea when out at home, after the why would you drink tea with out sugar questions.

Panzareta, Boers4ever and Iluvlilly! like this.
  19. Wcd

Wcd Active Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Ok so are they pickle chips or spears inquiring minds are curious.

20. MellonFriend

The ones I've had were chips.

Panzareta likes this.