Winter seriously this is why I live in the Mid South

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Wcd, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Yeah they’re pickle chips that’s fried and, depending on where you get them, coated with salt. Yummy!

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Hahaha the first time i hd burgoo i was like why are they callin brunswick stew this crazy name. In NC it is brunswick stew. I am not a bread puddin fan because most jas raisins in it. Raisins alone not cooked are just dandy but they should never be cooked in anything. Ick! I do occasionally make it but omit the raisins. I will also make hubby oatmeal raisin cookies but leave a third of the batter plain for me cookies. And WHAT is up with raisins for sweetener in applasauce!?!?!

3. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Come to our little oart of the world and silver queen is IT! ;). Peaches are a hit or miss.

GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

What!? So you're telling me that the rest of NC has silver queen? I'm in western NC where are you?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Deep fried pickles, raisons, potatoes. Now I am hungry.

luvmyherd and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Texas has the best food! Lol!

GoofyGoat and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I am sure you do. One day.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Now I'm hungry for fried pickles! Why you people do this to me! lol

And I've never heard of Perogies. But they sound yummy too. :)

MellonFriend and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Wow! Lots of yummy stuff!
    California has lots of good food but most of it is *borrowed*. My favorite foods are things I found in Hawaii. Kailua pig, malasadas, Zippie's chili and rice, chicken long rice, mahi mahi...
    Most of it came from somewhere else and has been adapted.
    Mexican food was a whole 'nother thing there. Very bland even for me and I don't do spicy. When we came to the Mainland for Christmas; Taco Bell was a treat.
    When I visit my sister in Arkansas it's extra hushpuppies and sweet tea with that catfish!

11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Yasssss! We are in mebane. Most of our friends do sq. ;). Unless they cannot find it then they will do king or there is a newer bicolor that is not horrible. But this year our one friend couldnt find it. I found some and he was like get it get it all lol! Also at the greensboro and raleigh state farmers markets sq is the one you see more often at those too.

12. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Ooh Hawaii! They have some of the best foods! Huli huli chicken is really good.

13. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I'm in South Louisiana. I cannot leave for long because I go through shrimp withdrawals.
    All the food is wonderful. I have to carry seasoning, hot sauce and coffee with me when I travel....after getting used to the level of flavor here, the rest of the states' food is bland.
    I even use remoulade as salad dressing. But I don't like sweet tea and it can be difficult to get unsweet tea. We have Sonics but no one gets the food, just the slushies and frozen treats. KFC is not that big here, Popeye's is more popular. And for the adults, there are drive-through frozen daiquiri places.

Iluvlilly!, HMNS and toth boer goats like this.
  14. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Here we do the Indian pinapple and cayan pepper and spice. Also we have the traditional rice meat potatoes and vegetables. But my faverite is banana salad. Banana, condense milk, cream, chilli powder and mayonnaise. I add some green pepper and onion. Adds some bitter to the sweet and tangy.

Iluvlilly! and HMNS like this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am now officially hungry. (embarrassed)

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  16. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Hey, does anybody here eat hot chicken sandwiches? You take a piece of white bred, put some cooked chicken (usually done in the crock pot) on it, then put gravy, another slice of bread, and cover the whole thing in gravy and then canned corn. You eat it with a fork because it's so messy. It's delicious!

Iluvlilly!, luvmyherd and Boers4ever like this.
  17. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.
  18. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Now I am officially homesick!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  19. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    One of my favorite restaurant meals is similar to that but with turkey. The real thing not deli pressed.

Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.
  20. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Banana salad sounds like something I'd like to eat. We are pretty big at trying out new foods.

Definitely eat hot chicken sandwiches but without the corn and sometimes with butter on the bread. lol. And we have it with turkey too, a favorite with the leftover thanksgiving turkey.

With the cold weather around here I'm craving soup. Want to make some Pho. You have to boil it for 2 days+ and the house will smell wonderful the whole time. And no matter what I could always eat spiced pulled meat with coleslaw sandwich. I can't think if that has a name right now.