winter sleeping

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by greif, Sep 29, 2008.

1. greif

greif New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    hi

what do you have for your goats to sleep on in winter? last winter I had them sleep on bales.

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    hay or wood shavings--- something low mantenance and easy to clean up.

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well, what I do is clean the pens out really good (down to the dirt) about 3 times per year, sanitize everything with clorox, put a layer of D.E. down, and a fresh layer of saw dust. Then my goats end up loosing hay when they pull it out of their hay rack anyway, so they end up with hay bedding.

This way ... since they're using the wasted hay as their bedding - it's not actually "wasted" ... it has two purposes ... feed and bedding. So then I dont' have to buy anything else for bedding.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I used straw last year and hated it. I was unable to really clean the covered area out because we had so much snow - and straw does not soak up any urine - so it was pretty bad.

This year, after talking to many people, we are going to do something different. We are going to rent a wood chipper and we are going to clean our property up and chip up all the sticks, but then the wood chips are going to be used as bedding. The woodchips soak up the urine and you can "turn them over" to get the clean/dry stuff on the top.

Just what I am going to do!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pretty much just the wasted hay is bedding, a good cleanout before the really cold weather hits...usually in November then they have a good thick layer til I cleanout again in late January....I remove the dry from the top and scrape out the wet underneath then replace it with what I took and throughout the next 2 months they readily replenish their bedding. Total cleanout and disinfection the end of March.

Kidding stalls are a layer of wood shavings with straw on top, removed as needed and replenished with dry.

6. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I use straw and clean it out every month and half in the winter. I tried wood shavings but I have one goat that seemed to eat them all of the time He looked like porky pig. The straw does smell alot and I have concrete so the urine doen't have any where to go so I have to air out the barn frequently. I'm not sure what a better alternative is though.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We have two goatie sheds that have dirt floors, I let wasted hay fall down and leave that as bedding, it piles up and the goaties stay nice and warm. In the barn, that has wood floors, I let the hay fall down as well, sometimes we use some shavings but not often. I clean the barn every week, in the winter, every one-two weeks. I clean out the bottom layer and leave the top, which is not soiled. I love dolamite and we use that often underneath bedding.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We take shavings lay them down about 4 inches worth under their covered area and in the shed then we take lots of straw about a foot piled in there and that works very well. I don't clean it out until summer since it's just way to hard w/ all the mud, slush, and snow, so I just lay more straw down over the old stuff when it starts turning nasty. But I think the straw is the best for keeping them nice and cozy. It's harder to clean out in the winter though. I guess since we grow our own straw it's a lot easier since we usually never run out.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use the "wasted hay", for the normal bedding but I use straw in the kidding stalls. I try to stick to the wasted hay until they kid, then after the stall is cleaned out of all the goo, they get fresh soft straw.