Winter Storm Warning

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Ruby Farms, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Ruby Farms

Ruby Farms New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Tioga, PA
    Just saw the news for the big storm coming in tonight across the midwest and northeast. Wanted to say good luck to everyone in its pass and will keep my fingers cross for a quiet passing.

We apparently are directly in its path this time. The last 2 storms have always gone East of us, hitting NYC instead.

I stocked up on hay yesterday and feed on Friday. Hoping that the electric doesn't go out since we haven't gotten a generator yet. Still have two sets of twins under lamps.

Will check in tomorrow.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hugs: to yall down there! good luck with all of the storms.

we're expecting 8" of the nasty white stuff tomorrow.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Good luck to everyone hopefully it won't be as bad as they are saying. Ours starts tonight and goes to wed afternoon.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Same here,, starts tonight and lasts til Wednesday, they're calling for a mix tonite, 3-8 inches of snow tomorrow with ice tomorrow night.

5. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    Misty freezing drizzle where I'm at right now. Snow tonight into tomorrow with not alot. The real stuff starts tomorrow after lunch. Our electric already went out once but not for long, hopefully that's all. I have one doe with quads under lights plus all out outside water buckets. Good Luck everyone!

6. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Yup, we're under the gun with this too. Waiting on one to kid out that is following the doe's code of honor to a T. Starts tomorrow afternoon and we are expecting 17-18 inches for us with insane drifts.

They are calling this the biggest storm in 50 years with the potential to be a crippling storm.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep....they are saying it will be bad here....went to Wally World and TSC this morning, Walmart was a nightmare! Strong winds here now out of the east, but no snow yet! Hubby just bought a new big generator thank goodness! Getting ready to load up the firewood box to the ceiling....do not want to be going out to the barn for firewood during this!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Prayers sent that way....May God bless and Protect..... :hug: :pray:

9. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    First couple of flakes here...Wind howling out of the east and everyone knows "Nothing Good Comes From the East"...Good thing I have those tough skinned Hoosier Boers. They are all laying on the westside of the barn on a big pile of straw, kids and all...A few days and it will be Spring.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I wish in a few days it would be spring.....but I think we have a while! We are now getting heavy snow with winds out of the east, which I just hate.....why is it that winds out of the east seem colder?

11. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    This evening they bumped us up to a blizzard warning starting at 6:00 in the morning. The bad stuff isn't supposed to hit till after 9:00am, so I'll be hussleing in the morning. The mist is starting to freeze here right now. Last I watched they said 24 inches expected here.

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Somehow we are missing the winter part of this storm! I'm in central KY, and We'll have highs around 50 tomorrow, and a chance of....Thunderstorms! rain chance is 100% Tomorrow night looking at around 1" of snow, and a chance of snow on Wed. They are saying the cut off for the snow is not going to be too far away, so we're possibly missing this one by a very close margin.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Count your lucky stars :) It is hitting here hard tonight......just went to take hot water out to the boys and it is bad! Wind sounds like a freight train coming through our house and snow a blowing!

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just breezy here so far....if it's hitting you now Denise then I can imagine it will be here soon enough. Stay warm and I know your boys appreciated that hot drink!

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep Liz.....they love their hot water...but I just keep thinking maybe I can sneak them in the house without hubby noticing.....what's 3 more 4-legged kids in the bed? really they are just like big pups :)

You guys should start getting it soon.....just talked to my son in Oklahoma and they are suppose to get hit hard to......seems that most of the country is getting slammed!

16. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Yeah...we just got the automated call for our county saying that snow tonight, then possible 1/2inch of ice tomorrow into Wednesday. >.< Gah. I don't want anymore winter.

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I hope you all stay safe during this storm! I can't believe how much of the country is being affected by this!

18. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    we were expecting as of last night a total of about 20 to 25 inches. now let me remind you we already have 3 feet on the ground and snow banks 5 feet high +. this is by far the worst winter in my life we have had a total of like 4 to 5 feet of snow.

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Without this storm we've had 10 inches more snow than we see in a single season. Definitely a busy year for everyone.
    We are under a wind advisory until 4pm tomorrow...oh fun. One thing I can't stand is the high winds. I have to use my SUV for some errands today and for the kids 4-H meeting tonight, so I hope the wind isn't as bad as they are forecasting. Biggest thing is there are a lot of big, old trees that line some of the roads around here, and it never fails that the winds bring them down...and knock out the power too.

BTW, our temps were about freezing yesterday afternoon....it's almost 7am and almost 50 degrees. Since midnight our temp has gone up 13 degrees!

20. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    6am cst..It appears we may have gotten an inch of snow overnight...winds are East/Northeast still howling and the thermometer reads 11...All the older does still outside laying in a big group on a pile of straw. Blizzard warnings for us start at 9am forecast up to 20" of snow by wednesday morning then the temperatures are going to drop into the single digits with -double digit wind chills....I may be moving all the goats into the kidding barn today because that may be a little cold for the kids. It is tight with 30+ animals, where I would be usually keep 8, but it will stay warm...Makes for a giant mess to clean up when they go back outside though....Back to the 30's by the weekend...Like I said Spring is coming