Winter Water

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by Tyler, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I was wondering how all ya'll do you water over the winter. I keep a 3500 gallon tank by the fence and let water out of that into a 50 gallon tub whenever needed. To keep the tank from freezing in the winter, I insulate it with hay bales and keep a heater in it. For the valve, I have an insulated box with a heat lamp inside. This doesn't work quite perfect, so I was wanting to glean ideas from you guys! :)

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I carry 10 gals of hot water 3 times a day out to the goats. Not the funniest of goat jobs.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Same as Shelly! They love their hot water :love: !

4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Wow! How do you heat all that water?

5. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I just run the shop sink as hot as it will go. Then just fill buckets and go. :)

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    3500 gal is a lot of water to heat. Solar panels would be one of the most cost effective ways when used with a recirculating pump. Electric heating would be so expensive.

7. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    It's actually just a regular 100 gallon heater, and with the hay it works great. The valve freezing is the hard part. :roll:

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    They make an electrical "tape" that is used to keep pipes from freezing. It is supposed to run in line and not wrap around the pipe so if you could find a short one that might work. check with AG supply and Farm Boy and see if they have anything. Also a light bulb might work depending on your setup.

9. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ah! Never thought of that before. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    you could buy a stock tank heater...but they freeze up at -20 so It doesnt work for me, I just keep their water in their barn, ane it only gets frost around the rim.

11. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
  12. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
  13. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I use a milk jug to carry hot water to all my animals twice a day---when I get up in the morning and when I lock up ( 8-9 pm) at night. the house is a ways from the barn so it is NOT fun.

14. LomaVerdeBoers

LomaVerdeBoers New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    I'm in Sunny Surprise, Az. So I have nipple waterers on all the pens and my well water comes out at about 75 degrees so my line hasn't froze yet :sigh: . I have heat lamps near the nipples so they don't freeze. It got down to 30degrees last night and the goats were drinking water this morning fine. :)

15. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    We keep a pan on the wood stove...in the mornin, my DH carries out to the goaties, the water has been frozen solid in the mornin, so we just pour the hot water on top of two 8 gallon buckets..The goaties love love love it!! That is usually sufficient for the day!!

16. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    we haul out hot water twice a day in 5 gallon buckets. I would be to leery to use heat lamps like you guys, I have seen a barn fire caused by a heat lamp so we only use them if its an emergency, i would much rather bring the goats in the house then use a heat lamp where it could easily get knocked over

17. LomaVerdeBoers

LomaVerdeBoers New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    Our heat lamps are hardwired using conduit and they're mounted about 30" off the ground. We tried ordinary heat lamps but the goats kept breaking them, so we found a permanent solution.

18. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    milk jugs, why didnt i think of that??? :GAAH: i carry water from the barn and it sloshes and i have to go down some steps from the sunporch when i carry hot water out of the house. my girls would try putting the buckets in the wagon but of course half of it has spilled by the time they get to the barn :hair: ! i have empty milk jugs washed and was collecting them to use on my plants in the garden in the spring but i think i just found a better use for them, thanks!

19. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I have had really good luck with heated buckets. They are about 5 gallons and make life so nice. I have one in with the buck, one with the others, one that is placed between the dog yards so seven dogs can get to it and a heated dog bowl for the other dogs. Everyone has fresh water no mater what temp it is. This year has been mild but last year we had several days of temps below -30. We saw almost -50 below for a couple days. We just have to check them twice a day to make sure noone pooped in one. If there is a little hay in them we use a kitchen strainer to make it clean again. Picky goats! :wink:

20. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Yeah, I have to manually run water out from the bathtub...oh well, nothing like a frozen pantleg when you spill water while manuvering around Ohio snow right?