The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ashley
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a metal hut that I used to use for pigs that looks similar to these (took the pic off the internet). I'm hoping to separate my buck and wether into a separate pen for the winter and I have this hut I'm hoping to use. Any suggestions on how to make it warmer or more comfortable for them would be greatly appreciated :D I plan on putting a thick layer of straw on the ground and move the hut periodically so they aren't sleeping in dirty conditions. Possibly closing one side and 1/2 of the other? Not really sure :confused: Otherwise I'm off to buy a shed... Thanks! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I know people will put chicken wire on the walls and stuff straw in between in their chicken coops.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Any suggestions on how to make it warmer or more comfortable for them would be greatly appreciated :D
There really isn't any reason to winterize it. I have a shelter like that, and my goats do just fine with a heavy layer of straw/old hay on the bottom. Like Carmen said, you don't want to keep moving the shelter - just sprinkle some lime or sweet PDZ if ammonia becomes a problem and add more bedding. As the manure and hay on the bottom decomposes it gives off heat and helps keep the goats warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts